Community Forum

Ooma voip

Contributor

Ooma voip

I want to try to set up my Ooma between the modem and router since this promises the “best voice quality.”  I own the Asus router and Arris modem.  They work correctly when Ooma has an Ethernet connection to the router and maybe this us how I should leave it.   My modem’s link light keeps flashing orange If I connect Ooma to the modem instead of the router.  Are there any instructions showing how this is accomplished or advice as to why it shouldn’t?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ooma voip

Don't do it that way. That is rather out-of-date instructions from Ooma. You may also  lose speed as the Ooma only support 100Mbit. It should work fine connected as just another device. I have one, and it works fine with my RT-AC68U. If needed, you can set QoS settings in the router if you run into issues with quality when non-phone activity is going on.

Expert

Agreed ! Hang the Ooma off of the Asus router. Don't put it in between the modem and the router. It has only a 10/100 port which is why that indicator light blinks *orange*. What is the model number of the Arris modem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

I see that I can set QOS on the router to prioritize phone.  I didn’t know if that applied since I’ve connected Ooma wired, all my other devices wireless.

Contributor

That makes sense if that is the Ooma speed.  My modem is Arris TM822 which I will be upgrading if I decide to drop the landline for VOIP.