Community Forum

Only getting 90 Mbps on 150 Blast need help.

Frequent Visitor

Only getting 90 Mbps on 150 Blast need help.

Hello,

I pay for 150 Blast and am only getting 90 Mbps down and 20 up. Just to make sure I was only getting 90 Mbps I connected directly to the modem and sure enough it was 90 Mbps.

I have chatted with tech support 4 times and spent hours trying to have them fix the problem. They sent a tech out on 11/24/18 and he told me everything was fine and that he believed my modem was the problem (Motorola Surfboard S6121). He never even connected to the modem to check the speed?

So as soon as he leaves I go out and buy a new $180 modem (Arris SB6190) to "fix the problem". I call Comcast and they set the modem up. I then do a speed test and get the same exact speed as before??? I chat again with tech support and they got through resetting the modem etc and no change. They advised they would send someone out to check the nodes in the area. I am beginning

I am getting a little frustrated with this. Does anyone have a solution?

Expert

Re: Only getting 90 Mbps on 150 Blast need help.

Is your ethernet cable CAT5e or better? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes Cat 5e

Expert

To recap, your old SB6121 will only support 100 Mbps download speed as it was a 4x4 channel modem. The SB6190 should have no problems with your current speed tier. 

If you haven't done so, you can try resetting the SB6190 to factory settings by using these directions. This will force the modem to download the correct, and most current, configuration file. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I called Customer service again tonight and had them check that I had the correct boot file. They said they re-sent me the correct one just to make sure. I then connected a computer directly to the modem and got the same speeds as before.

They then tried to tell me that it was my router which is an Asus rt-n66u. That is utter non-sense because the Asus will easily handle 150 Mbps and with the router taken out of the equation I was still getting less than 2/3 rd's of what I pay for.

They then said they will send another tech out to the house. I told her there was someone here on Saturday and they said all the signals were fine and that I needed a new modem. I bought a new $180 modem and had to call to get it set up and still have the same speeds I had before the service call and the new modem. Anyone have any other ideas? This is starting to really irritate me. 

Thanks for your help!

Frequent Visitor

Should I still do the hard reset and try that even though they claim they sent the correct boot/ config file?

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I went ahead and did the hard reset. Same result: 93.5 down/ 11.9 up.

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

Check the NIC in the computer is 10/100/1000 gigabit and not 10/100 Fast Ethenet.

Frequent Visitor

It is on Auto Negotiate but listed the following speeds:

1.0 Gbps Full Duplex

10 Mbps Full Duplex

10 Mbps Half Duplex

100 Mbps Full Duplex

100 Mbps Half Duplex.

The auto negotiated speed shows as 1.0 Gbps.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Try setting it to 1Gb I have seen the auto neg not work on some occasions. Other than that try another cable?

Frequent Visitor

Okay, set at 1 Gbps and used a brand new Cat 5e cable.

Same result connecting directly to modem.

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

I'm at a loss then, the upload speed 11/12 suggests you have the correct config/boot file for Blast.

What are your modem signals like? http://192.168.100.1

Frequent Visitor

I will post them when I get home tonight. I looked at them yesterday and all looked good. The tech that was here Saturday said they all looked good too. However, I was standing with him when he did the checks on the modem and he never plugged into the modem Ethernet cable to check the speed. Nor did he plug into the main coax feed. Maybe he did it wirelessly.
Frequent Visitor

Here is the modem info:

Data1.JPGData2.JPGData3.JPG

Contributor

This could possibly help if you have not checked the outside lines yet.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Arris-SB6190-Capping-Speed-at-33-34-MBPS/m-p/3027815...

Expert

@Sierevello wrote:

Here is the modem info:

Nothing unusual there, but mind you we also need the stats from the Event Log. 

Frequent Visitor

I will send them this evening. Thank you!
Frequent Visitor

Here is the event log. Thank You.

Event Log.JPG
Contributor

I would also change your DNS from automatic to 1.1.1.1 (primary) - 1.0.0.1 (secondary).  I had my bro change his last night.  He was only getting 80-90 down, now 170+.

Expert

DNS has nothing directly to do with speed.

Frequent Visitor

At this point I am willing to try anything. Comcast cannot seem to figure out what the issue is...

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Expert

@EG wrote:

DNS has nothing directly to do with speed.

Exactly, more likely changing the DNS forced the router to reboot and thus fixed any bottlenecking. 

Expert

@Sierevello wrote:
At this point I am willing to try anything. Comcast cannot seem to figure out what the issue is...

Thanks to everyone for the help!

One last thing, can your replace the current Cat5E cable with a different one (or better) and see if that fixes the problem? 

Frequent Visitor

Asking for help from Comcast Employee

I have exhausted all of my options and still have 90 Mbps Ethernet speeds even though I have talked with tech support 5 times, had a home visit, and bought a new modem because the tech said that was the problem. I also posted on the forum and people tried to help, but still have the same speed.

After all of this, including the $200 modem I didn’t need, I still have the same speed from Comcast. I pay for 150 and I expect to at least get something close to 150.

Don’t tell me something isn’t wrong. I live 15 miles from a major metropolitan city. Those speeds should be no trouble at all.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank You