Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Not receiving advertised speeds

New Poster

Not receiving advertised speeds

I am not receiving the download speeds that I pay for. I pay for 150 Mbps. I know that wifi will typically be slower than that, but even when I have devices connected via cat-6 cable directly to my router I have yet to see my download speeds go beyond 50 Mbps, my prior speed. I am wondering if I have been paying for the higher speeds but maybe xfinity has not altered my actual speeds? I see speeds as low as 5 Mbps on hard-wired devices!! Any tips?

Authorized Vendor

Re: Not receiving advertised speeds

Need more details like modem being used and signal status..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
New Poster

Modem is a Linksys CM3008. Router is Linksys E1200.

Regular Contributor

Grab and ethernet cable and connect to the modem directly.  If you see 150x15+ then it's your router.  Hardwired should perform better than the WIFI which makes a 2nd strike against the router.

I recently upgraded to Gig and my router I was using capped me at 250M... Replaced the router with a RT2600AC and now I'm getting my full speeds wired and over 500M on WIFI.  The previous router was AC and gig ports for the LAN but sure didn't perform to that specification by any means.  

New Poster

That seemed to work well! I had my xbox plugged directly into the modem and my speeds were mostly as advertised, so must be an issue with the router.

Although, there was some fluctuation, again going all the way down to just Kb during downloading of a game. Is that normal to have such high fluctuations, from less than a Mb to 150 over the course of a game download?

Regular Contributor

I would say that fluctuation isn't normal.  I looked up your router in the meantime and it looks like it first went on sale back in 2011 and that's a good indicator it's time to shop for something new.  Doesn't need to be top of the line but,  I would suggest 2015 or newer in the least.  If you own your CM then I would look into that as well since even direct connect you had the speed issue dropping so low after an extended download.  

Typically for your instance with Xbox aka microsoft they have enough bandwidth to support higher download speeds when updating a game or OS even.  During peak hours though I would expect a slump but not that much.  Even starting out with a cheap surfboard modem and another linksys router you should be able to remedy most of the issue it sounds like.  Less than or around $100 in equipment to get things up to snuff for a couple of years at least.  

Do you use anything other than the Xbox for the connection?  It's fairly easy to upgrade your WIFI card as well and those depending on the system rnage from $5-$25 for the card.  I picked up my new Intel 9260 for $25/ea and those are pretty mcuh a zero day application still since they're just now shipping with newer laptops but, they promise GIG WIFI which is pretty much unheard of other than someone using a high end router and their newest macbook pro / iphone 8 with the newer chips in them.  Who needs to spend $3K on a MBP when you can get a new card for your laptop so much cheaper?  Somewhat along the same lines as spending $300 for a router that doesn't do much more than the $100 version if you're adverse to spending for the couple of extra features.  Focus on what it can do and not keeping up with the Jones' and networking doesn't have to be expensive unless it's your job or passion Smiley Happy  The Synology router doesn't have the flashy looks but, it's rock solid when it comes to function and specs.   Similar spec'd devices from say Asus / Netgear were at least $50 more and the benefits didn't really seem to be all that much different.  The only time you need anything above AC2600 is if you have a troup of kids running around with multiple devices.  The higher number just means you can have more devices simultaneously using the same AP.  Single user with 10 devices here between Nest, TV, Roku, laptop, phone, etc.  When things are idle it's pretty minimal but, when I want to grab something that's a couple of gig's in size.... it's down under a couple of minutes when previously it was usually at least a 1/2 hour.

New Poster

Thanks for all the great info! I'll start with some equipment upgrades which will hopefully end the fluctuation and get me some more consistent speeds. I appreciate your help!

Expert

FWIW, here is an excellent site for researching routers;

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view