Community Forum

Not getting updated download speed

Frequent Visitor

Not getting updated download speed

Upgraded from 250 down to 400 down and speed is still 250. Comcast reset modem and Arris checked the modem. The only thing that Arris had concerns was power levels at about -12 for all 36 download channels. I searched acceptable power levels ranged from +15 to -15 which I am in that range but still getting 250 down.

Expert

Re: Not getting updated download speed

Post a screenshot of all of the signal stats please. 

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers for all channels. Include the codeword errors and the modem's error / event log entries.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

Frequent Visitor

Capture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

Frequent Visitor

The event log printed after having the modem unplugged for 30 minutes and re-booted at 1:30 pm CT

Frequent Visitor

Comcast advised that they have partitioned the modem for 400 down from the previous 250 down. Still speedtest shows 250 down. Upload speed is fine.

Frequent Visitor

Forgot to mention but the Arris model is SB8200.

Expert

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

https://imgur.com/a/tcTk2kV 

Forgot to verify the e-mail address for imgur. Try the above clink to see if you can access.

Expert

Bear in mind that the modem's speed provisioning / bootfile for the new speed tier may not be correct yet.

Try power cycling / re-starting the 8200 again. No joy ? Try hard resetting it to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. This can sometimes help to pull the correct speed configuration if it is actually present on the system.

Still no joy ? Try calling 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to completely remove the modem from your account and to "re-provision" it from scratch. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

That said, this needs to be addressed too;

The downstream power is on the low side.  That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

With Arris we did a factory default reset with the tiny hole in the back of the modem. It re-booted and we did another power re-boot. Still download around 250 as before. Never had an issue with the modem at 250 down.

Expert

Do the troubleshooting stuff and try to get your downstream power to be stronger (closer to 0 dB.) And call about the speed provisioning as stated. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

I have a Monday morning appointment but the power levels are within range of 15+ to -15 so I don't know if that is preventing getting the upgraded speed from 250 to 400 download.

Expert

FWIW, that is a Manufacturer rating. What really matters is the Comcast plant specs ratings. From the Troubleshooting Tips sticky topic at the top of this board, they are as follows;

Downstream Power Levels: -8dBmV to  +10dBmV

Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR):  >35dB 

Upstream Power Level:  +25dBmV to +54dBmV

Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (uSNR): >31dB  

Upstream Receive Power: -2dBmV to +2dBmV

As you can see, it is out of spec.

Frequent Visitor

I removed a few splitters and brought the download power levels down to -6 and still same 250 download speed. Have a early Monday morning appointment with the cable doctor. Thanks fo rthe input.

Expert

O/k. You could try calling about the provisioning in the interim because that is part of what the tech is going to do anyway. There's not much else a premises tech can do anyway if your signals are o/k. Good luck with it ! Please post back with how things turn out.

Frequent Visitor

The issue was that on my Netgear Nighthawk router QoS was enabled. I disabled it and my download speed is 475 down now. I am going to keep the MOnday appointment for them to check the power levels since they seem to low at about -12 with splitter and -9 with splitter. Thanks for all the help

Expert

Ah ! O/k, good to hear !