Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Not getting full gigabit speed

Regular Visitor

Not getting full gigabit speed

Location is Miami, Florida.

I upgraded to the gigabit plan and finally had a Comcast technician succssfully install the XB6 wireless router/modem. Though the internet speed has improved from my prior plan (up to 200 Mbps down / 45 Mbps up on average from my original 100 Mbps down / 25 Mbps up), it definitely is nowhere need the improvement I expected. Speed is at about the 200 Mbps mark down / 45 Mbps up whether I connect directly to the XB6 or through my Orbi wireless router.

I believe I have a CAT5 cable between the XB6 and the Orbi and have just placed an order for a CAT6 cable as a replacement/upgrade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regular Visitor

Re: Not getting full gigabit speed

So an update to this issue/question:

I changed the cable between the XB6 and the Orbi to be a CAT6 cable, and the performance has improved somewhat. Now the average speed i about 250 Mbps down / 50 Mbps up. So again, I am looking for any insight as to what I can do to have this gigabit plan/service actually get much closer to posted speeds (knowing full well that it won't reach full advertised speed). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Expert

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

"Keepin' it clean since '09" --I am not a Comcast employee.
Contributor

How are you getting thoes speeds.  xfinity speed test page, speedttest.net, or the ookla speed test app.  

On my mac a almost never get over 500 Mbps wired through speedtest.net or xfinity speed test browser but if i run the test through the ookla speedtest application then my speedtests run between constantly between 900 and 930 Mbps