Community Forum

Not getting even close to my 150mbps I am suppose to get

Regular Contributor

Not getting even close to my 150mbps I am suppose to get

Just dumped xfinity tv and in the process, I asked them what I should be getting for internet speed. She said 150 mbps. I've been under the assumption for years that it was only 100mbps. I bought my own modem a few years ago and it performs well, but never over 95mbps. That was my original internet service plan. My modem is an ariss 6121 and claims up to 172mbps. Is it possibly the old cable dangling in the back yard that's been here since I bought the house is poor quality?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Not getting even close to my 150mbps I am suppose to get

Your modem should do 150 Mbps just fine. If your wired speeds top out at ~90 Mbps it's commonly because you don't have a Gigabit Ethernet adapter. If you want to do some more troubleshooting...

Start here: Troubleshooting Guide 

If you haven't already, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Video: How to view power levels and event logs.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I think you just solved my problem. I pulled the network card and it's only 100gbps.

Regular Contributor

I meant 100 mbps. sorry

Gold Problem Solver

@trytibbs wrote: ... 150 mbps ... ariss 6121 and claims up to 172mbps ...

Note that Comcast only rates the SB6121 for Internet plan speeds up to 101 Mbps (see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6121-365). Using a modem which is not rated for the plan you subscribe to can produce unexpected results.

Consider replacing your modem with one rated for your speed tier (see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/).

The 172 Mbps claimed by Arris is a laboratory speed that ignores several DOCSIS and TCP/IP realities. You'll never see it in the real world.