Community Forum

Not getting 400mbps speed

Regular Contributor

Not getting 400mbps speed

I just upgraded my plan to include 400mbps internet but still get 150 speed that I had. I had to buy a new modem to get the 400 speed (the SB8200 modem) which is more than enough. I had Xfinity activate the new modem and have talked to them to see what they can do about my speeds being so low but nothing works so far. Not sure what I can do to get the speeds i'm paying for. I use a wireless router and it is also more than enough to reach the 400mbps speed.

Expert

Re: Not getting 400mbps speed

For a test, what does a computer hardwired directly to the 8200 (no router in the mix) with an ethernet cable get ? You will need to power cycle the 8200 when you do so.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Ok I tried the speed with Ethernet and still got around 170 and not the 400 it should be.
Expert

Just to confirm. That was directly to the modem (no router) ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Correct it was connected to the modem not router. The speed went up some, it hit 274mbps still not 400. Wonder if my router just isn’t good enough. The 5ghz speed is suppose to go up to 867 mbps but only 300 on 2.4GHz.
Regular Contributor

Does the Ethernet cord cat number matter with speed? Think my cable said cat5.
Expert

Cat 5e and cat 6 are better than cat5. 

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Official Employee

Hi @caryrae73

Welcome to the Xfinity Forums. I'd be more than happy to investigate further. Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hey @caryrae73

Thanks for following up to let me know the cause of your speed issues were due to a bad modem. If you need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We appreciate your service. Take care. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.