Community Forum

Not getting 1Gb service - any hope or should I just cancel?

New Poster

Not getting 1Gb service - any hope or should I just cancel?

I have spent 6 hours on the phone with Comcast today. Not seeing 1Gb on ethernet or on wifi. My AppleTV connected on Ethernet is getting <100Mbps. Same AppleTV connected on Wifi sitting right next to the modem is getting 200Mbps. Tried brand new ethernet cable didn't help. Wifi on MacBook that's 3 ft away from modem is under 400Mbps, occasionally goes a bit over 500 and occasionally dips under 200Mbps. With previous modem and non 1gb service, my MacBook was seeing 700-800Mbps so I know the issue is not my MacBook, the wifi, the coax into my house, etc. Comcast support is telling me that if I get 1/3 of the advertised 1Gb I should consider myself lucky. I don't consider paying for a service I am not getting lucky. They went on to read nonsense off scripts as to how 1gb is not achievable. So like they're selling a service they don't believe they can deliver?! They won't create a ticket for someone to look at the headend or the outside the house. Do I just cancel at this point?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Not getting 1Gb service - any hope or should I just cancel?

@JaneIam wrote:
I have spent 6 hours on the phone with Comcast today. Not seeing 1Gb on ethernet or on wifi. My AppleTV connected on Ethernet is getting <100Mbps. Same AppleTV connected on Wifi sitting right next to the modem is getting 200Mbps. Tried brand new ethernet cable didn't help. Wifi on MacBook that's 3 ft away from modem is under 400Mbps, occasionally goes a bit over 500 and occasionally dips under 200Mbps. With previous modem and non 1gb service, my MacBook was seeing 700-800Mbps so I know the issue is not my MacBook, the wifi, the coax into my house, etc. Comcast support is telling me that if I get 1/3 of the advertised 1Gb I should consider myself lucky. I don't consider paying for a service I am not getting lucky. They went on to read nonsense off scripts as to how 1gb is not achievable. So like they're selling a service they don't believe they can deliver?! They won't create a ticket for someone to look at the headend or the outside the house. Do I just cancel at this point?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Re: Not getting 1Gb service - any hope or should I just cancel?

Hi, JaneIam! Thank you for reaching out to us. Do you have your own modem or lease one from us? Do you have a laptop that has an Ethernet port? Which website do you use to check the speed? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!