Community Forum

Not getting 150mbps and only getting around 25-40 mbps

New Poster

Not getting 150mbps and only getting around 25-40 mbps

My family has the blast package from comcast; which when i look online is 105 and 150 in areas.  My family has been getting a constant 25-40 mbps and we are not satisfied with it at all.  We have had issues in the past and we got an upgraded router and modem about a year ago and issues still persist.  Just wanted to see what variables may be effecting the internet speeds.  

New Poster

Re: Not getting 150mbps and only getting around 25-40 mbps

I am having the same issues as you. I had an old Blast package from Comcast which was 105Mbps and when I first got that service I was not recieving the speeds I was suppsed to. I was eventuallly (after many calls) able to get a tech on the phone who was actually competent enough to help me and was able to get my speed to where it was supposed to be ~100Mbps. About a week ago I agreed to upgrade my older account and so I am now supposed to have the 150Mbps speeds but as soon as I activated my new service my speeds went from 105Mbps down to between 40-70Mbps. Clearly the activation broke the fixes that the tech had done origionally and my connection is now set up wrong again. You can call Comcast all you want and 95% of the time you will get a tech who will go through a simple list of tests, which you could do yourself, and then tell you everything is fine. While there are a lot of things that can impact your internet speeds like other people online near you and overall usage in your household we should be recieving speeds much greater than what we are! I even know for a fact that my line and set up is capable of speeds over 100Mbps as I had that steady connection for years. When will Comcast own up!

Expert

nm6787 wrote:

My family has the blast package from comcast; which when i look online is 105 and 150 in areas.  My family has been getting a constant 25-40 mbps and we are not satisfied with it at all.  We have had issues in the past and we got an upgraded router and modem about a year ago and issues still persist.  Just wanted to see what variables may be effecting the internet speeds.  

Call 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to *roll and re-provision* the modem. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Moved to it's own thread in networking as not to intrude on the original poster.

New Poster

note ur speed is 150mb down from comcast. try the following connect ur computer with wired ethernet cable then do a speed test. chances are you will get close speeds to 150mb down. if your connecting wifi router. ur speeds will depend on ur router and internet card. example if ur using router wireless a/b/g forget about reaching 150mb down. this will get u a max of 5-20mb down. router wifi N  can give 10-30mb down. router wifi AC DualBand is a better bet for wifi at those speeds down. AC DB wifi router trows 2.4ghz and 5Ghz signal. plain and simple 2.4 has more interferance 5GHz less interferance but if ur laptop or pc or cell or tablet dose not support 5Ghz you will not receive the benefits of 50-125mb down trugh wifi 5Ghz. note some wifi N support DB wich support 5Ghz but from experience i have reached 50-80mb down on 5ghz wifi N. Big note if a router says N/AC 600mbps this is not the download speed. its the speed its being sent and recived from router. wired ethernet connection has a speed of 1Gbps if you want wired speeds you will need router AC 1600mbps it will be 1.3Gbps speed of transfer speed. recal it also depends if ur receiving device can do this speeds

Expert

Dead thread from last year now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!