Community Forum

Not being assigned IPv4 address by DHCP

Regular Contributor

Not being assigned IPv4 address by DHCP

Today, my router went to renew its IP address and didn’t get one. I bypassed the router and reset the modem and checked my computer and saw that the computer self assigned an ipv4 address, but appears to be being assigned an ipv6 address. As such I can get to web sites that use ipv6, but not ipv4.

Unfortunately my router will not function without a valid ipv4 address so when using the router nothing works.

I tried calling Comcast and they want to send a tech out even though my modem is locked and this has absolutely nothing to do with signals or cable issues. It’s a DHCP server problem.

What can I do to fix this?
Gold Problem Solver
Authorized Vendor

Re: Not being assigned IPv4 address by DHCP

This is not the same issue as the provisioing issue where the user used the WAN-MAC and not the HFC-MAC (CM-MAC)..  If I took a guess I would say your CPE device is showing up in the system as a DOCSIS device and not a CPE device..  The modem will need to be  re-provision all together if this is the issue via a tech support or someone in the provisioning system would need to check your WAN-MAC and make sure it is a CPE device..

What is the IPv6 CPE address your getting?  That would tell me right away..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Regular Contributor

This was resolved, though no one really knows how. 

I reached a second level of support who told me he couldn’t ping my modem and it showed as offline even though it showed my Internet was up.  He asked if I had another modem around I could try since he thought my modem went bad.  I searched and found an old Docsis 2 modem which he tried to provision, but could not (it also kept rebooting).  To do this he had to deactivate my current modem. At that point anything plugged into the modem got a walled garden IPv4 address.  When he reactivated the modem, suddenly everything worked fine and I could pull a IPV4 address.  I don’t know if that is considered “reprovisioning” since as far as I’m aware no information was re-entered.  

I also don’t know why something that was working fine for years just suddenly stopped working, but it is working again now. 

Authorized Vendor

Morac2 wrote:
  To do this he had to deactivate my current modem. At that point anything plugged into the modem got a walled garden IPv4 address.  When he reactivated the modem, suddenly everything worked fine and I could pull a IPV4 address.  I don’t know if that is considered “reprovisioning” since as far as I’m aware no information was re-entered.  

Sounds like the issue I am tring to work on.. Smiley Sad..  yes by taking the modem off the account and even tring to add the other modem then going back to the "correct" modem did a reprovisioning of the modem..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..