Community Forum

Not authorized anymore for xfinity wifi

Problem Solver

Not authorized anymore for xfinity wifi

•    chat id: 264779bc-8452-4758-883a-f72c5553ec71
    •    Problem: The public xfinity wifi at hotspots says I am not authorized using my username cjerian, it says I need performance internet or above, but I have xfinity pref plus triple play with blast internet. This worked last month, but not today.
    •    Caroline Ancher > Hello Charles, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Caroline Ancher. Please give me one moment to review your information.
    •    Caroline Ancher > I look forward to helping you, we are proud to offer the Comcast Customer Guarantee. Hope your day is going well.
    •    Charles > My Issue: The public xfinity wifi at hotspots says I am not authorized using my username cjerian, it says I need performance internet or above, but I have xfinity pref plus triple play with blast internet. This worked last month, but not today.
    •    Caroline Ancher > Charles, I understand you are having issues accessing Xfinity Wifi, I apologize for the inconvenience
    •    Charles > It used to work but today it says your tier of service doesn't include xfinity wifi, so somebody might have broken my account to remove that feature.
    •    Charles > Now the tier of service xfinity pref plus with blast internet does have more than performance and includes xfinity wifi for sure. Maybe you broke my account with some coding error that broke this feature, or xfinity wifi hotspots are not working in my area around palo alto
    •    Caroline Ancher > I see, let me check the status of your logins first on the account
    •    Caroline Ancher > Thank you for the information
    •    Caroline Ancher > What username are you using to access your account?
    •    Charles > cjerian
    •    Caroline Ancher > Thank you
    •    Caroline Ancher > To protect your account, I will need to verify some additional information. Would you please provide me with the last 4 digits of your SSN?
    •    Charles > xxxx
    •    Charles > Note that I am not having trouble logging in, I've logged in just fine with the username and password to my account.
    •    Charles > It just says that you do not have at least performance internet and can not use xfinity wifi.
    •    Caroline Ancher > Charles, I see that your already have Blast package
    •    Charles > of course I said that already to you
    •    Caroline Ancher > What internet browser are you using
    •    Charles > I was using an iphone which I guess uses safari
    •    Charles > Now I'm using a mac with firefox at home with my working blast internet.
    •    Charles > It was the public outside wifi that was not working.
    •    Charles > It asked me to login with my comcast username and password which is what an iphone does when it connects to wifi, iphone connects to apple.com, and if the public hotspot redirects to its login page then you login
    •    Charles > Anyway you guys probably broke my account somehow
    •    Caroline Ancher > I am checking if the logins is on captive portal
    •    Charles > Or your wifi hotspots stopped working in palo alto
    •    Caroline Ancher > Are you using this link http://www.xfinity.com/wifi/
    •    Charles > I just connected to twitter, the iphone goes to apple.com which gets redirected to an xfinity login page automatically, is that a captive portal?
    •    Charles > That is how iphone connects to wifi, it worked last month just fine.
    •    Charles > The page made me login, normally it remembers me and lets me connect automatically.
    •    Charles > It logged in but said I don't have xfinity performance internet and above.
    •    Charles > Perhaps somebody has broken my account to turn off xfinity wifi somehow.
    •    Caroline Ancher > Rest assured we need to have your approval before any changes should be made on your account
    •    Charles > Not if you do random broken things
    •    Caroline Ancher > I checked the status of your logins, it is active and correctly setup and the modem is not on captive portal
    •    Charles > But you are talking about my HOME internet service, you are silly.
    •    Charles > I'm talking about the PUBLIC internet service xfinity wifi that is outside.
    •    Charles > My whole neighborhood has public xfinity wifi in downtwon palo alto.
    •    Charles > That is not authorized anymore
    •    Charles > Do you understand that this is xfinity wifi (public outside?)
    •    Caroline Ancher > I completely understand your concerns, Charles
    •    Charles > http://www.comcast.com/wifi/faqs.htm?SCRedirect=true
    •    Charles > This thing outside wifi
    •    Caroline Ancher > Your Comcast primary email is a free feature when you have Comcast internet service
    •    Caroline Ancher > Yes I understand
    •    Charles > It has nothing to do with email either.
    •    Charles > It has to do with the free public outside wifi that comes with performance and above internet.
    •    Charles > That has stopped working for me.
    •    Caroline Ancher > Is the password for your xxxxx@comcast.net account still working
    •    Charles > I said that a long time ago. Yes it works perfectly
    •    Charles > I can login on the public wifi portal, but it says I do not have performance internet
    •    Charles > or above
    •    Charles > which is wrong.
    •    Charles > Somebody has broken something on my account (or on your wifi system)
    •    Charles > The public one.
    •    Charles > Can you check that or look into it?
    •    Caroline Ancher > I can still see the device you are using on the system
    •    Charles > What device?
    •    Caroline Ancher > It's the XFINITY WiFi Automatic Sign In Devices
    •    Caroline Ancher > It shows the mac address of your wireless device
    •    Charles > Yes I have several that work an iphone and ipad and sometimes the macbook pro
    •    Charles > But nothing is connected now.
    •    Charles > I have to go outside to get a signal to see if is working again, but it did not work outside an hour ago in downtown palo alto, normally it automtically connects
    •    Charles > It made me login and said I needed to buy performance or higher internet.
    •    Charles > Didn't I say this already to you several times.
    •    Caroline Ancher > How many devices are you using to access Xfinity Wifi?
    •    Charles > Maybe 2 or 3
    •    Caroline Ancher > Okay, thank you. Normally, users are limited to 3 devices signed into XFINITY WiFi using the same Comcast ID at the same time
    •    Charles > But it didn't say I have too many devices, it said I need to buy performance internet or above,
    •    Caroline Ancher > Have you tried clearing your Safari cache?
    •    Caroline Ancher > Let's clear your Safari cache then try again
    •    Charles > That is nonsense, can you escalate to somebody higher to look at my account coding?
    •    Charles > Anyway I cant connect at home easily, I have to go outside the street to try again.
    •    Charles > Clearing the cache is a random fix for the broken email portal on your forums
    •    Charles > But I'm not using the webmail that has cache problems.
    •    Caroline Ancher > Charles, I already noted completely on your account about Xfinity Wifi access issues, so when you call my partner in the Xfinity Wifi Support, you can have the next representative refer to the notes so you will not have to repeat everything.
    •    Caroline Ancher > Our Xfinity Wifi Service hotline is 1-888-943-4421
    •    Caroline Ancher > They are open 24 hours daily as well
    •    Charles > Ok I went to the pole and tried again It says Unfortunately XFINITY WiFI is not available with your tier of service
    •    Charles > Looks like you really broke my account.
    •    Charles > I guess I could post this transcript to the forum for laughs
 Your phone number is disconnected

Caroline Ancher: Oh you can try using our Service hotline 1-800-934-6489

Caroline Ancher: Other than Palo Alto, can you access Xfinity Wifi?

Charles: The number you dialed is no longer in service

Charles: Your phone number is disconnected

Caroline Ancher: Oh you can try using our Service hotline 1-800-934-6489

Caroline Ancher: Other than Palo Alto, can you access Xfinity Wifi?

Charles: havent tried anywhere else for a while

Charles: I'll try calling.

Problem Solver

Re: Not authorized anymore for xfinity wifi

I called the 1-800 xfinity since the wifi number is disconnected and no longer in service,

but they hung up on me.

I guess the phone for support doesn't really work

Problem Solver

The next guy tried to get me to signature support which is the charged service.

Nobody at comcast knows about comcast public wifi at all.

Problem Solver

• Here is mail from
    Xfinity WiFi Support (xfinitywifi_support@cable.comcast.com)
    5:19 AM
    no longer authorized for xfinity public wifi hotspots (KMM20297608V61097L0KM)‏

Dear Chuck,

Thank you for choosing Comcast, home of XFINITY. My name is Albert and I value the time you spent to contact us today. I will do my best to assist you with your concern.

I understand that you are unable to log into the Xfinity wifi hotspot on your area. I apologize for the inconvenience that you have gone through.

Chuck, this is actually a known issue already and our technicians are already working to avert this problem. In order for our system to identify you as one of those that are impacted by this issue, a ticket should be submitted on your behalf. However, this is something that cannot be done through this email communication. We may need to pull up your account to process this, therefore, there is a need for a live interaction. I would recommend that you either chat with or call our internet department representative so a ticket can be escalated for you. You may use the link and information below in contacting us.

As part of our Comcast Customer Guarantee, you can always contact us at your convenience 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489) or chatting with us online.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Diamond Problem Solver
Problem Solver

I spent another hour or so on the phone mostly on hold and it looks like I found someone who knows what a wifi hotspot is.   They opened some kind of case cr32047974

That looks like a good sign, so at least somebody will try to fix it maybe.

Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like a job for "we_can_help@cable.comcast.com" to me.

Problem Solver

I sent them mail, but they did not answer.

Unfortunately XFINITY® WiFi is not available with your tier of service.

Upgrade to XFINITY® Performance Internet and enjoy these perks:

• WiFi speeds at 100,000 XFINITY® WiFi and CableWiFi™ hotspots
  • Fast Internet speeds and the fastest in-home Wi-Fifor all rooms, all devices, all the time

Upgrade to XFINITY® Performance Internet Today!

Sent from my iPhone

Hd Preferred Plus Xf
04/23 - 05/22
Includes: Digital Preferred Hbo,starz,
Streampix, Video Equipment, Internet
Service, Digital Voice Unlimited
Problem Solver

I tried calling the number to see if it was a wifi number but actually it just is the sales department, and they can't help you.

New Poster

I have been calling trying to get the same issue resolved, my ticket is CR32010146. I can't tell you how many times I have spoke to comcast employees in the last 6 days that have no idea they offer this service. I have Blast internet and getting the same message!

Frequent Visitor

I have been having the same problem. It began 4 or 5 days ago. I have talked to customer service like 8 Times now, no solution. <br>They said they are gonna call me back in 24 hrs, its been 36 no call back nothing. There obviously is a glitch in the system where qualified accounts are being read as unqualified, but it seems...it will take them what a year to figure this out. Comcast talks of customer satisfaction...lol. been unsatisfied for 5 days and they have done Jack shyyt. And Bruce, don't tell us to email...them. We have talked to.them...and they don't know what we are talking abt....u want us to write to them...u Havin a laugh mate.
Frequent Visitor

I have a ticket number as well....ummm been 4 days now I still can't login. Let me know when ur problem is resolved thanks.
Problem Solver

It seems good that I am not alone I guess, maybe they broke this for whole groups of people, e.g. those with triple play that has blast, and somehow blast is not qualified or some packages are not qualified anymore.

Maybe some bad programming change.  We don't know how they implemented the check.  They must have a check that goes by account and returns some cookie with capabilities, so that the web services can tell if you have email or internet or voice, maybe there is one for public wifi.   I don't know how they implemented this, do they have a bit just for the public wifi and they run something on a database to generate those bits from other ones, what is called a derived table, so it takes one set of data like the package you have and sets the bit that says you have xfinity wifi?  Lots of ways to do database things, each with there own issues.  Fastest at reading data to have a column for each thing you want to check, but then you need to derive the data somehow and can get it wrong...

New Poster

I even downgraded to the Performance level to see if I would then be able to access any hotspots but that did not work either. Also tried on a second laptop. I am in Massachusetts and you are in CA so I would say the problem if definitely related to the login process checking of eligibility to use the service not the hotspots themselves.

Problem Solver

People on the phone and chat are clueless about the wireless service though, but somebody knows about it at least so they opened a ticket to look into it.

Most of the people want to do something to your modem, or get you to their paid signature support for home wifi.

I guess there is no ticket tracking system that is accessible.  For some companies you can type the ticket into a helpdisk system and see how it is doing, e.g. salesforce.com and remedy have helpdesk systems that work that way, but comcast doesn't have anything we can see to see how our case is doing.

Problem Solver

So you actually need the hotspot service dena_n_susan enough to slow down your home internet?

Another thing to do is to use a 4G card from AT&T Verizon or Sprint, or to use an android or iphone as a hotspot.  One guy at work was moving and getting their new house remodelled and did not want to deal with cable companies for data for a month or 2 and got a virgin mobile card http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband-plans/broadband-2-go/overview/ for that time.  If you have a mobile share plan the PC cards or tablet plans are only $10 on AT&T and Verizon.

I have AT&T mobile share plan, so I can always use that when on the go also which is good now that the xfinity is not working.

Gold Problem Solver

shah-221 wrote: ... And Bruce, don't tell us to email...them. We have talked to.them...and they don't know what we are talking abt....

All I can tell you is that, overall, I've had much better luck with "we_can_help" than with the phone or chat reps. YMMV.

There is also https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect and https://twitter.com/comcastcares

Problem Solver

Me to, they helped me with my initial setup of triple play, and got rid of a number of charges for install when someone came out to replace the bad self install modem I got in the mail.

That bad modem is still on my account though, even though I sent it to foster city service center.

I read all the stories of how years later they charge you for things on this forum, so I worry about it.

Now the grounding wire business cost me $200 for the electrician who could not find anything wrong with my wiring,  the we can help stopped wanting to talk to me about the grounding issue and the burned out coax..

Looks like somebody came and drove a grounding stake in the comcast box near my house and grounded it.

Nobody has replied to my email or called me for the wifi issue yet.

Problem Solver

So I just got a call back from we can help from my grounding case, they told me that the cable equipment outside has a new good ground rod.  Then she asked if there was anything else, so I told her about the xfinity public wifi issue.  She said that somebody had added a note to my case (the grounding one) that mentioned, customer has wifi problem, but she said she had no idea what it was about, and figured somebody had added the note to the wrong case.

So I guess the result of being on the phone several times and chatting got a note attached somehow to a different case that nobody could understand.

SHe also said that the foreign call center can't add anything to her cases, so that means at least once I talked to a somebody in the US who could add stuff to her case.

She (the we can help) person new what the xfinity public hotspots are about, and was going to ask if something is going wrong with them or the authorization.  So maybe the issue is going to be looked at.

Frequent Visitor

Having the same problem in Boston. Please let me know if u make some progress.
Problem Solver

Somebody called me and it is a national outage, and they are working on it.

Frequent Visitor

I too recently started experiencing the "unfortunately..." xfinity wifi login denial; have dealt with numerous Comcast reps in multiple calls, many of whom have no idea what is a hotspot. The chat line is particularly useless. But perseverance will eventually get you to someone with authority or at least know how regarding the issuance of a service ticket. I got one today and hopefully will get a call back.

All I can say is that the more people that complain and start service tickets, the better are the chances of a fix. Last year AT&T microcells had issues with iPhones. It took many diehards calling and posting on both AT&T and apple forums for about four months. But those efforts did result in a software fix download to the microcells.

So, please keep up the pressure!
New Poster

Anything new? Mine still not working and I called back at 877-761-5015 and was told now the Boston area is experiencing a service outage although I am still getting the same upgrade to performance level message.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info. Why can't Comcast just say that on their website, or atleast let their technicians or people on chat know abt this issue so that when we call we get a short and correct answer. One representative sold me an internet and cable package costing $233... Glad I cancelled it.
Frequent Visitor

It cant be an outage because u can login using xfinity wifi promotion. Two sixty minute sessions per month promo they have. So, if u use the promo the WiFi works.
I am in Boston as well.
New Poster

Funny you should mention that! I logged in using the free 60 minute access earlier with no problem and called back to hear what the scoop on that was all about. The guy tell me the original problem has still not been fixed. He say the issues are still with customer credentials. The pay for access has had no problems.

New Poster

Thank god I'm not the only one. I'm in Cambridge ma. Problems started on may 10th . Called back on the 13th and they issued ticket. Never heard ace and problem is still there. Issued new ticket today.The customer service sucks. Why not have a web site posting or internal memo for cs I'm someone calls w this issue. I'm using an ipad. No problems for six months then bam. I get that same message about wrong subscription tier too. I had to repeat myself a hundred times that it was not my home wifi. I changed my username n password to see if it made a dif....not the case. I hate Comcast.....
Problem Solver

I think that people just don't know what is going on, and there is no way to tell them either.

They don't actually know what you are talking about, probably because of low skill levels.

The people also can't do anything or find anything out, but they can open tickets but it is very difficult to get them to do that much.

It probably took a while to figure out that something is wrong since they got rid of all the direct support for comcast public wifi, and disconnected the phone number for it, probably fired everyone to save money that supported it before, and the main number and chat don't know anything about it.
  Nobody seems to run it to put a warning on the web page that it is broken.

Frequent Visitor

I actually got a call back from "higher fix agency" on my trouble ticket today. Alas, we didn't get to actually talk. it seems if an in house Comcast person calls a Comcast voice customer and dials too fast, it goes to your voice mail w/o ringing that landline (person in sales, who i lucked upon and who wrote my ticket because she used to be on the Internet team and felt my pain, told me that). So I got a voice message that he'll call tomorrow and spent the rest of the day trying to get my trouble ticket amended to have call back on my cell phone instead. We shall see if the 800 service phone answerer I finally got to made good on his promise to correct the ticket.
Today, I also went to local Comcast store and showed them I couldn't get on the hot spot. Rep there said I'd need to call 800 number or use live chat or have her arrange a service telephone call back, which i did but am not getting excited about because I expect it will be another monumental waste of time.

Has anybody tried the we_can_help@cable.comcast.com for this issue and gotten anything?

Very
New Poster

Yup. Same issue here in Folsom, CA. Few of us here (office building) who have Comcast started getting dropped. One person started getting the "tier error" 2 weeks ago. I started getting it 2 days ago. One of the other employees is still connecting fine. 

My ticket is CR320743809. Honestely, this hotspot at the office was my only reason for staying with Comcast. Gives me a good excuse to finally try uverse. I'll give the rep the 72 hours he promised for a call back... but looking at this forum, it is very doubtful any progress will ever be made. 

I noticed the HotSpots have a "free trial" as well. I'm going to at least push to get a temporary account while they work to resolve this. Doubt they will do this, but worth a shot. 

Frequent Visitor

Finally connected with someone in the trouble ticket arena and found that this is now considered a national issue (though xfinity wifi is primarily California). I believe the guy I talked with since he called me back after we first hung up to let me know that he double checked to verify it.
Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, It's actually "primarily" East coast.

New Poster

I just connected here in Boston! woohoo!

Frequent Visitor

Me too. Yeah finally.
New Poster

Thanks for posting this. I have had the same problem and didn't know what to do because the many Xfinity support reps have had no idea what I am talking about and they have tried to tell me to change the package on my home account, reset my phone, etc. But *they don't even really seem to know what an outdoor Xfinity Wifi hotspot is*. It's really frustrating and I have been shuttled between reps who don't even understand the problem. I hope they fix the problem for all of us soon. There are many Xfinity Wifi hotspots in my neighborhood (Silicon Valley) that I am suddenly no longer able to use (even though Blast internet as part of my current triple play package should qualify me [i.e. the "tier error" upon login is erroneous]). I just got the support number for the correct department: 1-855-845-6834. It took well over *2 hours* on the phone with a ton of support reps to get the right number of the right department for support of the wifi hotspots. The fellow that I talked to is the *only* one who understood the problem, and relayed that they were having problems of this sort and were working on it. I encourage others to call, and create support tickets so they know the magnitude of the problem and can fix it in short order.

New Poster

I spent hours and hours on the phone with Comcast in this very issue. The number you posted was a big help!
Frequent Visitor

Run, don't walk, to your favorite xfinity hot spot and you may be able to login now. A solution for national trouble ticket # ND018118866 (the "unfortunately...." hotspot issue) is now being tested. I am in Point Richmond CA (north side of SF Bay) and I just logged in without the denial problem we've all been experiencing. Hopefully, it will continue to work and do so for all of us.

By the way, writing to we_can_help@cable.comcast.com actually got me results. I explained my long history as a high tier customer (ironically, I was a subscriber to old AT&T cable, which was acquired by Comcast as it entered our market) and provided a very detailed explanation of my righteous frustration with more than a dozen calls to 800 numbers where ESL is poor and tech knowledge is even poorer. It netted me a corporate office call back the next day and a followup call from a Comcast middle management person who confirmed that the fix was being rolled out while we were speaking and is supposed to be fully implemented within the next 24 hrs.

Of course, the bad news remains that only those with patience and perseverance and time to spend on bird-dogging issues will get through to folks who can help.

If Comcast is reading this:

I suggest that you provide an added contact service to consistent long time, top tier customers which provides a dedicated number for issue handling (not unlike airlines do for their most frequent fliers). Tiered incentives would do much to keep us loyal and in the mood to pay for the top tier. Leave the tier and lose the incentives. Your "xfinity insider" program is the perfect vehicle to accomplish this. And, no, I don't want to pay for signature service (though you may want to offer graduated discounts tied to subscribed triple play tiers).
New Poster

Well, it makes no sense but I'm not complaining. A comcast van was out to our office in Folsom, CA yesterday. Today the few people that were affected in our office are working today. Makes no sense since this issue was at every hotspot... but now they are all working. At least it is resolved. I wish I could tell people what Comcast did to fix the problem, but they haven't closed my ticket yet so I doubt they even realize.

Frequent Visitor

Customers experiencing inadvertent XFINITY WiFi eligibility errors during the sign-in process should now be able to access the service without issue.  Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, and your patience as we worked to resolve the problem. 

We appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to ensure that we are providing our users with an optimal XFINITY WiFi experience.  

New Poster

Still *NOT* fixed.

I still received the same error when trying to access an xfinity wifi hotspot around 4pm Pacific time yesterday (well after you posted you had fixed it)...so: *still not fixed*.

(And it would have been nice since I have an open trouble ticket for you contact me as a customer to check if it now worked for me or provide some personal update or apology for the ongoing problem, not just a broad post to a forum). 

Frequent Visitor

kilodalton - I'm sorry to hear that you're still unable to login.  Can you please private message me with your trouble ticket number and we'll take a closer look at your account?  Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

I had this problem on saturday when i was out

New Poster

ComcastScottC,

I have sent you a message with the ticket number. I still have the same problem (no access to xfinitywifi hotspots) and no one has ever responded to my open ticket. 

Regular Visitor

I have had the same problem in Plymouth, Massachusetts.  Xfinity help have basically been useless with what appears to be a lack of understanding of the problem.  They insist my account is set up right and that I do have performance inernet.  Yet they insist I just keep trying.  Are there no excallation proceedures with Xfinity?

Regular Visitor

Still does not work for me in Plymouth, MA

Frequent Visitor

I apologize for the delay in my response.  I will escalate your ticket and get this resolved for you as quickly as possible.  

New Poster

I am having problem logging into my account. I haven't changed my password but everytime I try to log in, it is telling me to sign in again. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Same issue here in Michigan cant log into my account just keeps asking for user name and password over and over. Rediculous 

Bronze Problem Solver

Looks like Comcast have resolved the sign in issue all working here now. Smiley Happy

Regular Visitor

I keep getting this message for weeks now. Spent hours on the phone with tech support who for the most part don't know the difference between a wifi hot spot and the wifi in my house. Been hung up on. Been put on hold for so long I hung up.already had one ticket created that was closed with no resolution. 1st ticket took them a week to close out without doing anything. Let's see how long before they close the second ticket.