Community Forum

Not Sure What The Problem Is

New Poster

Not Sure What The Problem Is

Hi,
To begin, 4 days ago, there was a storm that knocked the power out on the base I live on(I live in the dorms on an Air Force base). Up until the point where the power kicked back on, I had no interuptions and perfect internet. When the modem powered back on, it would connect for 5 minutes, then disconnect and show an orange blinking light which then turned green, then finally to white indicating it was connected. It repeated this process constantly. I assumed it was a fried modem, got a replacement today, but with no luck. The exact same problem exists. It'll connect for about 8 seconds then abruptly disconnect and repeat. I've tried every single method the 5 different support techs have given me, restarted my modem a good 23 times at this point. I've swapped power outlets, flipped the cables around, checked and cleaned the cable ends. I've power cycled the modem several times, each time with a different installation process but it yields the same result. So where am I making an error here? Or could it possibly be something in the coax port in the wall itself? I'm really out of options and internet would be nice.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Not Sure What The Problem Is

Wifi or Ethernet? Intermittant loss of Internet service is often due to a poor connection between your equipment and Comcast's network, usually in or near your home.

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please provide Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts. If you are using Wifi it's best to switch to an Ethernet cable connection if possible while measuring speed and checking the reliability of your connection to Comcast.

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast do the troubleshooting, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using the Internet Support option at https://support.xfinity.com/chat. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit. If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast modem, eMTA, gateway device, or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.