Community Forum

No internet after midnight

Frequent Visitor

No internet after midnight

Internet slows to a crawl, then quits completely every night after midnight, then comes back on the next morning. A tech came a couple of weeks ago and found no issues in my home. He changed out my router to the newest version and all was OK until the last 4 nights when it started this again. It is not a traffic issue- maybe 2 or 3 neighbors have comcast and I am the only one that is up this late. I was told my case was escalated to an Advanced Tech team and they would contact me, but of course that hasn't happened. There's no one I can speak with during these hours when the internet is down so they can troubleshoot. I can't see where this problem has anything to do with my setup at home. How can it be explained that I lose connection every night around the same time and it is back around the same time the next morning? I'm extremely frustrated at the problem and lack of help.
Frequent Visitor

Re: No internet after midnight

Crickets..... Anybody?
I went to the local Comcast office for help. They scheduled a tech to come check the outside lines, but even they doubted that would be useful. So far all I've managed to get out of any of the employees is, 'That's weird' and 'let's schedule another tech visit'. Neither is helpful.

I did have a connection after midnight last night. But it's gone again tonight.

I've dropped everything else with Comcast and it's looking like I'll soon be an ex-Comcast customer. My ability to make a living depends on a solid internet connection, so yeah, I'm a little more than ticked off.

New Poster

Have you ruled out the possibility that the device has a "BEDTIME" setting applied to it, from your account's wifi management? Sign in to your Xfinity account and check the device here: https://internet.xfinity.com/devices & check the "bedtime mode" option. (See screenshot)` It could be automatically signed off your network at midnight precisely through this method. Also, check your device(s) to make sure no similar settings put into a battery saving mode which shuts down your wifi. These may not solve your problem, but they should be ruled out before you take bigger steps.

2017-10-24 09_49_21-XFINITY xFi.png
Diamond Problem Solver
Frequent Visitor

Another tech came out Thursday and changed the cables from my house to the pole. (Again, no issue was found inside my home). He said there was water in the line and some squirrel damage. Later in the day, I had the fastest speeds ever. All was good and I was happy.

However, Friday night (after midnight) my speed was down to 1.48 download and the usual mid-20's for upload. In the last 30 minutes it has increased to 19.63 download. (I am paying for 150 tier). The only upshot is that it didn't totally quit tonight.

Before the tech visit, the 2nd, 4th and 5th light on the modem would blink intermittently. The Internet light (3rd) would not come on at all. I am not tech savvy, so I am hoping someone can lead me in the right direction. 

I've seen in the forums that others have had this same situation, but I have not seen a resolution for those cases. It seems like this problem is such a mystery to everyone. I'm getting quite disgusted with the whole situation. For almost 2 weeks my income has been negatively affected and it seems I'm working for Comcast without pay. I just want it fixed please.

Frequent Visitor

All that seems to be happening is "EG Connection Expert" keeps moving and merging my posts with others on here. Surely someone has some idea of why this is happening to my (& others) internet connection late at night until early morning. The problem is not going away and neither am I. 

I may be way off the mark here, but:

After the last tech changed the lines outside because of water in them my speeds were superb for one night. Then last night it rained and my speeds went down once again to 1.48 download. Is there a problem with the lines being water-tight? I would like to think that in this day and age a little rain wouldn't cripple the system. Like I said, I may be way off the mark but at least I'm trying to find a solution. Is anyone else?? 

It angers me to no end that any time there is a Comcast problem I have to work so freaking hard and for such a long time to get it resolved. This isn't MY job. I've got a job. Unfortunately, I can't do my job because of Comcast. 

Diamond Problem Solver

jbeck1 wrote:

All that seems to be happening is "EG Connection Expert" keeps moving and merging my posts with others on here. 

I have not "merged" any of your posts on to other posters threads. It's quite the opposite. Please keep any future posts regarding your issue here in your thread. Thank you.

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Racing girl. Your post on this other person's topic has been moved to your existing topic for your issue where there is a reply. Please keep your issue in your own topic. Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Ok, whatever. But every time I get a notification that someone has replied to my posts, all I find is that it has been 'moved' again and my hopes of finding useful information are once again dashed. Just like 30 minutes ago when I got a call from Comcast-  incredibly, they only wanted to sell me something! I'm not trying to be ugly to you personally. But have you ever felt like you were standing alone in a desert screaming for help but all you can see is sand....and the occasional person who wants to sell you more sand?

Frequent Visitor

My internet is gone again. 6pm. No rain. Internet light is off. It's starting earlier and earlier.

Are there at least any suggestions on where to turn to now? There's no more troubleshooting I can do, Advanced Tech had no answers/effort, the tech that last visited hasn't returned my call (nice guy tho), in-store folks said 'that's a weird problem', nothing happening here on the forums.... Honestly, I'm left with one choice: dump this piece of equipment on Comcast's doorstep at the nearest opportunity. It would be different if someone in the last month would've actually made more than a half a** effort besides the last tech visit. He's the only one that has tried ANYthing. Not one single helpful word from anybody else. It's crazy that I'm the only person trying to retain my business with this infuriating company. Comcast is living up to its reputation for sure.
Expert
Moved:

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here.

Contributor

Wow!  Sounds like Comcast's cellar position on customer service is being well defended on all fronts!

I really do not know how a customer would ever know of this type of thing short of driving around and looking and speculating.  Clearly Comcast is not providing the information even though I suspect it is just a few keystrokes away for any employee who cared. My limited experience is the construction side of the business are a bunch of "cowboys" that don't keep anyone informed. 

I do maintain a Verizon MiFi which gives me 4G speeds, and of course most phones can be used as hot spots.  I suspect my retired world is not as data intensive as yours so speed and capacity limits are not an issue.  I will say I have had my Comcast service for about 2 months now and to my knowledge have not had an outage. 

New Poster

Experiencing similar issue ... may I ask where you are at (town) -- Bolingbrook, IL? If yes, that may explain my Internet speed troubles. Except it went from being poor only at some times to being poor most of the time.

Frequent Visitor

No, I'm in Alabama.

Expert

Your issue has been escalated to the Comcast Team available to the Forums. A member of that team will reply to your post as quickly as they are able, so check back often.

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hello jbeck1, I can look further into this for you so that we can get your problem resolved. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Finally, this issue has been resolved.
The problem was that the signal I was receiving was too strong. The amplifier(?) on the pole that regulates the signal strength was bad. During the day when the weather was warm I was registering 11, my neighbors 6. At night when it was cool, mine shot off the charts.
Kudos to Howie and Quentin in the corporate office who stuck with me, James, the maintenance supervisor that monitored my lines, and especially MIKE, who came out to make the repairs. Mike was so professional, patient, easy going, and took the time to see me before and after he completed the work. He even gave me his phone number to call him even if I needed him on Thanksgiving day.
I hope this will help anyone else with this problem so that they won't have to spend almost 2 months trying to figure it out.
New Poster

Since retiring in 2011 I reside 5 months in PA (I lived there 21 years) from May till October and seven months in Cape Coral, FL. I have never had problem with internet signal in PA and pretty often problems with internet speed in Cape Coral. Currently I pay for up to 30 Mb/sec and two hour ago it was 0.2 to maximum 1.0M Mb/sec and disconnecting, waiting 20-30 sec and powering again the modem did not help. Sometimes it does. I had to call for refresh signal and it fixed the problem. I hope somebody may help me understand why Comcast in PA is much better than Comcast in Florida. Two months ago the cable from the pole which is in my property to the next pole was sagged so low that jumping I was able to touch it. XFINITY vans are driving back and forth but it seems nobody wants to notice it. Flimsy, lousy job….and no choice; In PA at least we had Verizon Fios. Here if you have phone landline you may get some primitive internet but this is not a service for 21 century.

Diamond Problem Solver

Marked "answered" thread from last year now being closed.