Community Forum

No Signal

Regular Visitor

No Signal

This is a new application on this home. I went through with tech support. Took them an hour to realize there was no signal coming into the modem or box. So in the morning I took my trusty DVOM out to the box on the side of the house. There is no signal coming in on the orange flooded cable from what I'm guessing is the street. 

So my quesiton is what to do from here? Is it not Comcast's responsibility to provide a clear signal? 
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: No Signal

If you set up a self install initially and are unable to go any further, then a tech needs to be sent out.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Yes, that is what the gal on the phone said. It took an hour and a half for her to get to that point in the conversation. It should have taken 10 minutes. Then she sent me a message which required me to commit to a 70 dollar charge for what turns out to be a lack of an incoming signal. Took me ten minutes to conifrm that. So what do I do next? 

Gold Problem Solver

@Chazbot_K wrote: ... I took my trusty DVOM out to the box on the side of the house. ...

Unless the meter can read millivolt level RF on frequencies above 50MHz, it wouldn't be useful for determining if a signal is present.

Regular Visitor

No signal, no internet

Looks like my last question was deleted, at least I can't find it. 

Still no internet, but I got a message explaining how I can pay my bill for my new non services. So the question is am I responsible for bringing in cable from the street personally or does Comcast do any of that sort of stuff??????

So far the modem inside works great. But it has no signal and there is nothing at the outside orange flooded cable coming in from the street. 

I'm a bit dissappointed with the relationship so far...........no a bit more than that I'm really dissappointed. Tech support was a waste of time too. 

Expert

Re: No signal, no internet

Are you in a "flood zone" right now? You mention a flooded cable.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote: Are you in a "flood zone" right now? You mention a flooded cable.

Note that while "flooded cable" might refer to cable that's under water, it's also a type of coax. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable :

Flooded coaxial cables use a water blocking gel to protect the cable from water infiltration through minor cuts in the jacket.
Contributor

Comcast is responsible for the cable up to your house box, which should be near your power meter.  If it is not currently connected, call them to tell you need the drop connected and the tap made hot (meaning the line inside your house box is hooked to comcast signal and is attached to a ground block with a ground wire to your power meter).  If you have any question about the existence or condition of the cabling from the house box to your modem you should ask for a tech visit to install your service (there is a $70 charge in our area for such installation).  They would do whatever to hook up your outside line to comcast and also do whatever to get that signal to your modem if it is possible for them to do so.  (If the cabling is already in place I mean).  If new cabling had to be run inside the home, there are some scenarios where they could replace or run new cable and some where they could not.  They generally do not do wall fishes anymore (build wall outlets in your home).  A low voltage electrician would need to be hired by you to run that.  Multiple story cable runs are also not possible for comcast.   They could run a line through a crawl space to an existing wall plate or through a hole in the floor.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Chazbot_K, thank you for reaching out here on the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear about the service issues you're running into, I would be totally lost without reliable service. I can definitely help. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name to take a look at this further together? I appreciate it. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I've already had an extended conversation with an associate of yours on Twitter. It was equally unproductive. Seems like your folks don't lift a finger without me coughing up 70 bucks. It only takes 60 seconds to verify that there is or is not a proper signal on the line at the box at my house. This is not worth 70 bucks. Provide the service which is contracted and I'm a happy guy. So far, one week and no internet and no TV. But I got an email explaining how to pay my bill. 

LOL, what a joke! 

Regular Visitor

Spinne1, thank you. That is the clearest explanation on this issue I've had so far. 

Contributor

There is not a way to determine remotely whether cable signal is present in your house box.  A person would have to be there with a signal meter to determine that.  There is no charge at all to get an active line into your house box.  A $70 charge would be to go beyond that and install all the way to the modem and get the modem activated, etc.  They do not charge you to run a line from the pole to your house box.  If you don't see a line there call to have a line run to your house box.   This job is called a "hot tap."

Contributor

Actually it is rather easy to determine if a signal is being provided to the drop at the box, connect your modem to the cable. Worked for me. I even took my laptop outside and logged into the modem.