Community Forum

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Frequent Visitor

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

I have an SB6190 modem that has been disconnecting.  Up until recently, it has been intermittant.  The disconnects are happening more often.  I see multiple No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out errors in the event log.  They are preceded by Ranging Request Retries exhausted and Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted entries.  All of the Downstream and Upstream data seems to be within spec with the exception of the Upstream power for all four channels.  I look at the status frequently and most times the power is around 51.75, 51.75, 52.00, and 51.75 for Channels 1-4 respectively.  I just checked again and the readings are 49.50, 49.00, 49.50 and 49.00.  Refreshing the status shows different results just about everytime.  I believe these values are the cause of my issue.  I have saved these readings to PDF's.

Here is my question: What is the best way to get a knowledable Comcast technician to visit my home and run his/her diagnostics, hopefully to find the cause?  I've been a Comcast customer forever and dread calling the 800 number, speaking to the Helpdesk agent who will instruct me to reset the modem, etc, etc.  I am not an expert but I am definitly not a novice (I worked in the IT and electronics field over the past 32 years).  Good tech support on the phone specific to my issue would be a good start.

Thank you for your help.

Contributor

Re: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Me to on a CM1150V modem.

If you look at the forum post ,there are alot of this happening with the gig speed and gig modems..I have been having same issues since upgrading speed and modem. My hope is that comcast is working on it. 

Expert

@georgepizzo 

The upstream power is on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@doublel67 wrote:

Me to on a CM1150V modem.

If you look at the forum post ,there are alot of this happening with the gig speed and gig modems..I have been having same issues since upgrading speed and modem. My hope is that comcast is working on it. 

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

@georgepizzo 

The upstream power is on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I appreciate your response and the troubleshooting tips!

I believe that my installation meets Comcast's standards.  About six months ago, a new cable from the Comcast's utility box on my lawn was run (buried) to a new Comcast provided splitter on the side of my home (thanks to the landscapers and an old shallow buried cable).  The technician installed a high quality (IMHO) connector on the new cable and also removed the old connectors for the existing cables at the splitter and replaced them also.  There is a single coax cable from the splitter, running to the modem in the basement with no additional splitters or couplings.  It looks lik they did a professional job.  Of course I don't know what the entire run looks like beyond what I've mentioned.

I've been checking the modem logs and the errors still log a few times daily but the uptime continues to increase, indicating that the modem has not rebooted since the day of my original post on 6/22 (that's good!).  I'm hoping that it doesnt get worse.  Right now, the upstream power on all four channels is in the 48-49 dBmV range which seems like a good place to be.  I'm also wondering if some water or moisture was causing an issue since there was lots of rain all last week with none locally over the past few days; who knows?

Anyway, thanks again for your input.  I see your comments throughout the forum and it's all good stuff, greatly appreciated!

Enjoy your summer!

Expert

It's on the high side and may be intermittently fluctuating higher out of spec as stated. I would get a tech out to investigate. Good luck with it !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

georgepizzo, thank you for reaching out here! I can definitely take a look at this further with you and help send out a technician if needed. Please feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name to get started! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “Send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I'd like to let everyone following this issue on the forum know that with the help of ComcastAlly, I was able to get this issue resolved. He worked with me on the problem and escalated to a technician that visted my home. He thoroughly ran multiple diagnostics both inside and outside my home.  In summary, he found loose connections and water inside a coupling.  He changed all of the connectors and installed a new spltter. Upon completion of his work, he ran diagnostics again and the results were obviously better. My upstream power is now well within specs on all four channels between 46.25 - 46.75 dBmV. So far, the Event Log is not growing. I will continue to view the logs and I am optimstic that this issue will not return.  If it does, I was assured that the troubleshooting will continue beyond my home. Thank you ComcastAlly and Comcast tech John!

Expert

Good to hear ! Hope that things hold up for you. Good luck !