Community Forum

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

New Poster

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

You know it's pretty funny how many people have made the same posts as I am making right now...

DOCSIS(CM) Events

Date Time Event ID Event Level Description
4/1/2018 20:38 82000600 3 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/1/2018 20:38 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/1/2018 20:38 82000300 3 Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/1/2018 20:38 82000600 3 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/1/2018 23:52 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:01 82000300 3 Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:01 82000600 3 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:01 82000300 3 Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:01 82000600 3 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:02 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:06 82000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:07 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:08 82000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:08 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:09 82000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:09 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:10 68001202 3 DHCP failed - DHCP Solicit sent, No DHCP Advertise received;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:10 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:11 82000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/2/2018 0:12 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=REMOVED;CMTS-MAC=REMOVED;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Last Month my area had outages every day man in the afternoon, Comcast website said outage in the area was an outage every day for at least 2 weeks or more lost count, now the pasted 3 days my internet goes out right now as I am posting my Down stream LED on my modem is yellow and the other LED's are green, At around 12:50AM EST my internet started what I call "lagging" or losing signal while I was in the middle of playing a multiplayer game..

Rained here around 9 PM EST.

It's pretty sad how the Tier 1 support people say there is no problem with the internet that they can see the other funny thing was the guy I talked to I told him while why don't you login to my modem and see the error logs, tells me ohh we don't have access to your modem, lolwut? What's the point of having a "Password of the Day" then if you can't access my modem... You know the guy at ARRIS says, that only my ISP would know what they Password of the Day is, but this guy says no?

Factory setting the modem will still not allow what should be the Password of the day when entered, Just remember the guy I talked to at ARRIS who makes the modem I have said that only my ISP knows what that password is yet the Tier 1 support at comcast has no idea so which is it?

You know my internet was fine till Hurricane Irma hit Florida weeks after they thing was running again the service turn to bad again, Pay $100 a month for service that you can hardly use, you work from home and have to tell your Boss every day there is an outage in my area that's getting old having to tell my Boss that you know?

How am I supposed to afford to pay my internet bill if I can't work to make money?

And I'm gonna be out of a job if this keeps up, All I do know is I'm gonna have to make another call to Corporate and then if that fails to work then it looks like I'll have to head back to Centrylink again...

Ohh I forgot to mention about 9 years ago I had these same problems so I had to call every week to have a tech come out find nothing wrong and submit a ticket I had superivors, I had line guys who handle the lines and the node they all came out they checked the lines for cracks they even left a meter box that the tech guys come out with to read the signals on the lines and look for noise ect.. they left one out at the tap hooked up for 24 hours, they finally figured out if was a problem with the node in the area and sent a ticket to Corporate for replacement approval or so they said after I guess it was replaced the internet was fine for about 2 years I think then the Hurricane hit's and the service is bad again....

Yeah Florida was damaged pretty bad so they still wanna charge you $100 for service you can't use much...

Expert

Re: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Modem Model is: ARRIS CM820a

Router was taken off for 48 hours to see if it was a problem with the router and the problem still came up without the router connected.

Called Corporate spoke to an Executive she said that she put in an escalation ticket and a Manager is supposed to call me back in 24 hours..

This should be interesting..

Screen shot of levels as of right now possibly have to wait till the problem comes up, also the modem can't be accessed when the internet goes down trying to access 192.168.100.1 but I can access the modem if I unplug the Coax cable but when the internet starts going out the modem can't be accessed until the internet is back up.

Ohh and take in mind this machine has a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit and I don't mean a system restore I mean putting Windows 7 USB stick into USB port and deleting the C:\ and reinstalling Windows.

Nothing on this computer other then Google Chrome and a Multiplayer game I play anmd nothing else, haven't accessed but maybe 20 sites since the reinstall of Windows 7, Have all the latest drivers for my computer, all Windows 7 updates from Microsoft Device Manager shows nothing with missing or any yellow exclamation mark.

Diamond Problem Solver

Post the signal stat figures as well. Post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

New Poster

Forgot to add the screen shot:

log.jpg

Diamond Problem Solver

The stats as read at the modem level at that moment in time were o/k but there are three additional signal stats that can cause problems which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

New Poster

@EG wrote:

The stats as read at the modem level at that moment in time were o/k but there are three additional signal stats that can cause problems which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

So far the internet has been fine it's 12:40 AM EST haven't had a connection problem yet, when you bring up the ingress I've heard many of the techs talk about this. Being how the only node I know of is about 5 blocks away that would leave a huge area to try and track down something that only happens when someone happens to turn on some device that feeds back into the lines, and wouldn't be surprised if it's more then one person that has something feeding back to the lines.

This is the kinda talk I like to hear because it helps get some kinda understanding without having to get employed at Comcast, I always said I should apply to work at Comcast so maybe I could catch the problem, I'm not sure if they have something hooked up that can help figure out who is feeding back into the cable lines or what is feeding into the lines.

I'm waiting to hear back from a Manager later today as I mentioned I talked to a lady at the corperate side about this problem, It's getting old having to tell my Boss everyday that there is an outage or that the internet is out again...

So ingress is one of the flaw's to cable companies eh?

Diamond Problem Solver

Yep. It's the nature of the beast with DOCSIS / a shared medium. And yes, it can be difficult and time-consuming to track down ingress. Especially if it is intermittent. Fortunately, their line / plant maintenance techs are well trained !

Good luck ! Post back with how things turn out.