Community Forum

No Noticeable Diff with even Xfinity 1 Gig Speed

New Poster

No Noticeable Diff with even Xfinity 1 Gig Speed

I got to know about this 1 Gig speed 2 weeks back when I was in store to upgrade my TV Plan. I was using 250 Mbps Blast Plan at that time. I upgraded my Internet too to 1 Gig speeds with new comcast provided modem / router. It was OK the first week but now after 2 weeks I am having following issues:

1. Not gettings the speeds I am paying for

2. The Wifi Drops like anything. I was working on something and suddenly page crashed and I realized I was out of wifi connection / internet

3. My Youtube Videos still buffer for ages

4. Facebook (OMG) it takes years for my feed to load with this kind of speed. My LTE is better than that.

5. The numbers on Speedtest shows like 200-250 Mbps on my iPhone and around 450Mbps on my MBP but it doesn't feel like I am getting that kind of speed. 

When I upgraded to this plan, salesperson told me I will see a noticeable difference but honestly I see it like worse than before. Should I switch back to the old plan ?

Has anyone else faced this kind of issue ?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: No Noticeable Diff with even Xfinity 1 Gig Speed

Gigabit is like owning a Ferrarri. It may go fast, but in reality, you'll never really use it's full abilities. Many websites can't really use it. Unless you have many people trying to stream and download simultaneously, it's just alot of $$$ going to waste. The only minor help could be the faster upload speed that often comes with faster plans, assuming you upload stuff alot.

Expert

@TechG wrote:

I got to know about this 1 Gig speed 2 weeks back when I was in store to upgrade my TV Plan. I was using 250 Mbps Blast Plan at that time. I upgraded my Internet too to 1 Gig speeds with new comcast provided modem / router. It was OK the first week but now after 2 weeks I am having following issues:

1. Not gettings the speeds I am paying for

2. The Wifi Drops like anything. I was working on something and suddenly page crashed and I realized I was out of wifi connection / internet

3. My Youtube Videos still buffer for ages

4. Facebook (OMG) it takes years for my feed to load with this kind of speed. My LTE is better than that.

5. The numbers on Speedtest shows like 200-250 Mbps on my iPhone and around 450Mbps on my MBP but it doesn't feel like I am getting that kind of speed. 

When I upgraded to this plan, salesperson told me I will see a noticeable difference but honestly I see it like worse than before. Should I switch back to the old plan ?

Has anyone else faced this kind of issue ?

You could use the Troubleshooting Guide to check for issues, and if you still need help, post the information requested in this thread so we can see what's going on. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks Andyross, I actually download a lot and the reason I upgraded by thinking I will be able to download faster. Looks like there's not much diff.

Even when I am on VPN, I don't see the diff.

New Poster

Thanks darkangelic, 

I followed the thread to go to 10.0.0.1, I can't find the section to pull power levels and noise ratio. Where is it actually in the menu ?Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 1.09.09 PM.png

Expert

Try under "Xfinity network".

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Does this work ?

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 8.50.00 AM.png

Expert

FWIW the stats that you posted so far were very good at that snapshot in time. No uncorrectable errors ! Post the balance of the downstream channels and the error log entries as well. Is there a downstream channel marked "OFDM / PLC" or "Other" present ?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

A couple of thoughts:  I'm on a 60mbs plan and my youtube videos don't buffer for ages, and while I don't use facebook, as far as I know it's just a pretty generic website and I load all kinds of websites without issues.  (Although even at 60mbs, I can see that some servers can/will not keep up with that - though generally not the big well-known places.)  Are you doing all this over wi-fi?  If wi-fi is the issue, changing your wired plan probably won't fix anything.

New Poster

He paid for the speed 1 GIG and gets 250 MB.

Expert

6 month old dead thread now being closed.