Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

No IPv4 WAN IP on modem, only IPv6 (Arris SBG7580) Only IPv6 websites work

Regular Visitor

No IPv4 WAN IP on modem, only IPv6 (Arris SBG7580) Only IPv6 websites work

I have a similar issue with thread (http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/No-IPv4-only-IPv6-Arris-SBG7580/m-p/3098198). I can access some web sites (xfinity, google, facebook, microsoft, etc.) but cannot access many other web sites (e.g., amazon, ebay, craigslist, etc.).
I have Arris SBG7580AC cable modem gateway(router).

Could you ComcastJohnN please fix the issue for me? Over 3 days AND a technician coming out, plus at least 10+ hours on the phone with Comcast technical support I have gotten nowhere. I also called arris technical support and they told me it’s a Comcast issue. If I look at the WAN tab on my modem, dynamic for IPv4, there is no address. It just shows DHCP checked and all 0’s in the rest of the lines where the WAN address from Comcast DHCP should be displayed. If I look at the Dynamic IPv6 tab, it’s populated with an IPv6 address.

If I go to www.ipv6-test.com it shows IPv4 is not supported but IPv6 is.

The woman that initially provisioned my modem used the WAN MAC instead of the HFC MAC and now all I have access to are IPv6 websites. Even tier 3 technician Matt in Denver Colorado cannot fix it and said that he would escalate it. Hope somebody fix it soon.
Regular Visitor

Re: No IPv4 WAN IP on modem, only IPv6 (Arris SBG7580) Only IPv6 websites work

Anyone who reads this - the only fix is to PM ComcastJohnn. Tier 3 support doesn't know how to fix it and they never called me back.

I PM'd ComcastJohnn tonight and he had it fixed in a couple minutes.
Expert

Good to hear ! Perhaps Comcast John's knowledge (a true network engineer) should be spread throughout out all of Comcast's customer support service !!!

Regular Visitor

According to him, he's been trying to pass it along but clearly its not making its way through the proper channels.  No one on tier 1 or 2 or 3 has ANY idea what the issue is or how to fix it.  Tiers 1 and 2 are completely clueless and blame everything on the fact that it's an "owned" modem and because of that they cannot help because they don't have access to the modem.  It's a ploy to get you to rent a modem from them for 11.00 per month.  At least when i finally got transfered to the tier 3 support, the guy actually listened to what i had to say but even after trying everything he could, he still couldn't resolve the issue.  You would think by now, that its been 6+ months of this issue happening to A LOT of poeple, that this issue would be well known throughout ANY of the tiers of support and they would know exactly how to handle it.  The amount of time I spent on the phone with support over 3 days and waiting for the tech to show up a couple days after my modem was provisioned was ridiculous.  I didn't have any clue how to tackle this until I found these threads telling me to contact ComcastJohnn.  I probably would have had to return my modem and get another and have it provisioned correctly with the HFC MAC the first time in order to get my service working properly.  This is no way to run a business.  I'm going to call customer service and demand that they give me the first month free.  Unfortunately comcast/xfinity is a necessary evil till more FAST broadband options are available in my area.  It's getting to the point where something simple like a self install is such a headache with them that you don't want to even bother.  It's always "sir, we need to send a tech out" no matter what you do.  Then the techs do a terrible job stringing the cables or setting up the equipment.  It's always a nightmare!

Regular Visitor

This is how they wired my house a year ago when the Tennants renting from me had internet and TV installed. Complete hack job. Who staples cables to interior trim around doorways???? The cable they drilled through the the brick wasn't even sealed with silicone! The back of the house had cable anchors they could have strung the cable through but instead they made more holes in my siding. Look at how they zip tied the cables to the electrical piping under the meters! I called and complained about all of this and nothing was done.
9D7FD32A-438E-4984-A13A-7DFE5E6DC4AF.jpeg
FB4AE93C-8AE1-4CD0-B401-97C9D2D45154.jpeg
39A3A903-2321-4CF6-B4C4-93B6570BE4BC.jpeg
9F0EC1D9-147D-4A1A-9398-BB56191B7315.jpeg
CA2F8FC0-D293-4A61-8E6B-9B6B9C061A51.jpeg
D9F3F7EA-7B31-42E6-8D3A-1D3A7DC18B9F.jpeg
6925A138-A4B6-488B-B2FD-369D3A4B8DF8.jpeg
5B1C09AD-9D68-4F9E-AD69-D1B8F6F5B9AC.jpeg