Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

New xFi Advancd Gateway

Regular Visitor

New xFi Advancd Gateway

Received the new 1GB xFi Advanced Gateway modem and installed after a few attempts. One thingI'm bummed about is that there are only 2 ethernet ports.  Previous modem had 4.  What are my options?  Do I have to buy an ethernet hub or should I go with a network switch (I'll be honest ... not sure I know the difference).  I need additional ethernet ports to plug in my SONOS Boost.

Tags (1)
Expert

Re: New xFi Advancd Gateway

You need a gigabit network switch

"Keepin' it clean since '09" --I am not a Comcast employee.
Regular Visitor

I bought a 8 port network switch through Amazon. It was the TrendNet Greennet Switch, and I was not able to get it to work. My speed dropped from 800 Mbps to 60 when I had it hooked up. I returned to Amazon and now have another brand on the way. Stay tuned. I’ll let you know if I’m able to resolve. Would have been better if Xfinity kept 4 Ethernet ports in back of router like other older models.
Problem Solver

I have a 5 Port version of that TrendNet switch and it worked perfectly fine with my original XB6 gateway.
Using an 8 port Netgear GS308 switch now with my current XB6-T and it's been solid.

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Expert

@brice60 wrote:
I bought a 8 port network switch through Amazon. It was the TrendNet Greennet Switch, and I was not able to get it to work. My speed dropped from 800 Mbps to 60 when I had it hooked up. I returned to Amazon and now have another brand on the way. Stay tuned. I’ll let you know if I’m able to resolve. Would have been better if Xfinity kept 4 Ethernet ports in back of router like other older models.

Is the Trendnet a gigabit switch?  Every ethernet device in my residence runs off mine but I don't have gigabit service, which I assume you have.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

Is the Trendnet a gigabit switch?  

FWIW: http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail?prod=515_teg-s80g