Community Forum

New modem - speed test showing 25MB down...help

New Poster

New modem - speed test showing 25MB down...help

I currently have the 250MB package with the Blast option. This past weekend I cancelled cable so I had to go to the local store. As I turned in my DVR and other cable boxes, I was told I needed a new modem. Yesterday I swapped out my modem for a new one.   Now th details...

I ran a couple speed tests last night after work and my speed was terrible but I accounted it to the highest demand time of the day. This morning I got up around 5 and ran several speed tests, including Xfinity’s own. The fastest download speed recorded was 25MB. I called Comcast and used the automated system to send a modem refresh signal.  No difference. I called back but the system won’t let me talk to an agent because the refresh isn’t finished.   I’ll call again, but want to know what other options I have.

Also, what is the guaranteed minimum download speed I should receive?  I get different answers from each person I talk to. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: New modem - speed test showing 25MB down...help

@Chewmann wrote:

I currently have the 250MB package with the Blast option. This past weekend I cancelled cable so I had to go to the local store. As I turned in my DVR and other cable boxes, I was told I needed a new modem. Yesterday I swapped out my modem for a new one.   Now th details...

I ran a couple speed tests last night after work and my speed was terrible but I accounted it to the highest demand time of the day. This morning I got up around 5 and ran several speed tests, including Xfinity’s own. The fastest download speed recorded was 25MB. I called Comcast and used the automated system to send a modem refresh signal.  No difference. I called back but the system won’t let me talk to an agent because the refresh isn’t finished.   I’ll call again, but want to know what other options I have.

Also, what is the guaranteed minimum download speed I should receive?  I get different answers from each person I talk to. 

The guarantee is for an ethernet connection.  Here is one website:

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: New modem - speed test showing 25MB down...help

@Chewmann wrote:

What are you getting for the upload speed ? What is the exact make and model number of the modem ? Is this a WiFi connection ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!