Community Forum

New gateway modem and vizio smart tv

Frequent Visitor

New gateway modem and vizio smart tv

Had my smart tv up and working with old comcast modem and D-link router. Watched netflix.

After many calls telling me to get the new gateway modem I connected it up,  all other wifi devices work - laptop, cell phone except smart tv and netflix. Says it is connected but won't access internet

Talk to person at comcast told me my tv is the problem, talk to another guy and told me to change channels in gateway software - didn't work - shouldn't be so complicated!!

Anybody else with current issue with new modem?

Problem Solver

Re: New gateway modem and vizio smart tv

Are you still using your router?

Problem Solver

sahaleecns wrote:

Had my smart tv up and working with old comcast modem and D-link router. Watched netflix.

After many calls telling me to get the new gateway modem I connected it up,  all other wifi devices work - laptop, cell phone except smart tv and netflix. Says it is connected but won't access internet

Talk to person at comcast told me my tv is the problem, talk to another guy and told me to change channels in gateway software - didn't work - shouldn't be so complicated!!

Anybody else with current issue with new modem?

If you're using wi-fi from your new Comcast gateway instead of your D-link router, THAT is the problem.  The wi-fi signal from the gateways are notoriously horrible.  The good news is that is if you go back to using your D-link router for your wi-fi, you should be fine.  You need to put the new gateway in BRIDGE mode and connect your router to its PORT 1 ethernet port.  Full details are here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Gateways-and-Bridge-Mode/td-p/2419143

Regular Contributor

Get the Vizio menu up and look under network for WPS.

Frequent Visitor

Not using router

but all other wifi items work, laptop, Iphone and Ipad. TV says connected but doesn't access internet

Frequent Visitor

TV says connected but it will not access internet - won't bring up Netflix

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info I will give it a try. All other wifi devices work fine right next to where the tv is, laptop etc find it hard to believe tv can't pick it up.

Frequent Visitor

Solved the problem. Called Vizio they said the encryption code had to be changed on the router, they gave me the code.

I went into Xfinity login (typed 10.0.0.1)

admin

password

under "at a glance"

connection

under connection "WIFI"

edit  - change the security mode to the encryption code vizio gives you

New Poster

I have a Vizio smart tv and when Comcast tech couldn't figure out my issue of not connecting with the Gateway wireless moden/router (1hr later), I called Vizio.

Vizio tech Fixed the problem quickly.

Instructions were: 

"Menu" to Network, then Manual Setup, the DHCP should be set to "ON". 

Once the tv recognized the change, it connected to wifi and was able to go online.