Community Forum

New device connection

New Poster

New device connection

I have just gotten a notification that a new device has connected to my home network. This has never happened to us before and I am confused as to how something/someone can connect to my home without password etc??!! Anyway I paused the device and changed my password bc I didn’t know what else to do until I could receive some guidance , I also went and got the device details: it’s a CyberTan device it’s host name is android something and a bunch of numbers etc..I screen shot everything ...other than just pushing that device I dont know what to do or how to prevent this from happening again, and how to make sure it’s not connected and not be able to connect again.. thank you for any assistance you may be able to give...thank you!! Thank you, Ellie
Expert

Re: New device connection

If the device wasn't given an IP address, then you're OK.

A lot of times, a device will connect to the wireless network but will fail authentication ( ie can't log in because it doesn't have the password).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: New device connection

I am receiving this message as well.  Today a contractor was at the house and I got notified that a new device was connected.  It was his cell phone.  Now I have WPS disabled and a password on my network, so how is it that his phone was able to automatically join my network without so much as entering a password?  I verified that the device was assigned an IP address on the network.  I also have the xfinitiwifi disabled on the cable modem.