Community Forum

New cable modem and new router and tons of issues

Frequent Visitor

New cable modem and new router and tons of issues

I started having internet issues Sunday. My iPhone wouldn't connect to the wifi and I got a message that the password was incorrect. The tv, which gets internet through a wifi booster, also could not connect to the internet.

A discussion with tech support led to nothing more than "everything is perfect on our end."

Yesterday morning, after countless reboots, I replaced the cable modem (Arris SB6190). After I called to give Comcast the new MAC address, I still got the same wrong password error. I then installed a new router (Linksys AC1000, dual band). I changed the name and password for the wifi.

When I tried to connect to the 2.4Ghz band with my iPhone, I got the wrong password error. I was able to connect to the 5Ghz band, but when I moved out of the room where the modem and router are, I'd lose the connection. I thought maybe the router wasn't powerful enough, so I got the Linksys AC1200, dual band and installed that (renamed wifi, changed password, etc.).

No matter what I do, I cannot get this equipment working. I spoke to Comcast several times and they say everything is good on their end so I have to call Linksys. I called Linksys last night and the tech had no idea why it all wasn't working.

In addition to my iPhone, I have 2 computers (one connected directly to the router that has a connection, the other with wifi that can't connect to either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz regularly), a NetGear wifi booster that I can't get set up and 5 Amazon Echos that can't connect.

I was able to get one of the Echos to connect to the 5Ghz band this morning after changing the channel to 36 instead of Auto, but the Echo has since lost that connect.

I also changed the 2.4Ghz band to be 20Mhz only, but this does not currently have a single channel assigned.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated because I'm at my wit's end!

Thanks!

Expert

Re: New cable modem and new router and tons of issues

Sounds like you might have WiFi congestion. How big is your place? 

Try this - reset the Linksys router back to factory settings and start setup again, only this time give the same SSID to both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz bands, turn off all WiFi devices including repeaters, and connect each device back to the router one at a time. (Remember that the 5GHz band has less range compared to the 2.4GHz band). 

And frankly, I don't have much confidence in the routers you got- you might consider getting a mesh system or one with a really powerful antenna. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for this suggestion! Can you possibly suggest a router? I need to keep it as reasonble as possible cost-wise because after tomorrow I'll be unemployed.

Thank you!

Expert

Ouch, well in that case, let's try and get the current system working first until you're gainfully employed again. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!