Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

New XB6 verse old TC4400

New Poster

New XB6 verse old TC4400

I just wanted to post this for the next guy doing a search.  For over a year I had the technicolor TC-4400 cable modem for my gigabit service.  The TC modem ran fine and could saturate the maximum ethernet traffic at 940Mbit/s on download tests.  It stayed up and almost never rebooted.  A good $10  a month rental from Comcast.  

Recently I was sent information from Comcast that they were swapping out my TC modem for another modem because of a "technical issue".  I have no idea why.  Anyway I hooked up the new (weird looking, can't mount to a wall) XB6 modem.  This thing is dog slow.  I mean rediculously slow.  Also it doesn't label which is the main ethernet port to use ( the one on the right if you are looking at it from behind).  Registering with the CMTS takes for ever and obtaining a client DHCP address litterally takes 5 mintues on a reboot.  After setting it up normally I found instructions on how to turn it into just a normal bridge modem ( login : admin   pass: password ) and click the bridge mode button.

After I got it all setup directly hooked up to the modem I couldn't obtain much more than around 800mbit downstream.  Where previously the other modem with everything being the same was saturating the ethernet port at 940 Mbit.  

Instead of fighting with Comcast, I just went online and found this review: 
https://www.mbreviews.com/arris-sb8200-vs-motorola-mb8600/
and purchased the Arris-SB8200 from amazon.  This modem has the broadcom chipset which has much lower latency than the puma chipset that the XB6 has in it.  

Who am I?
No one important, other than I use to make cablem modems for Scientific Atlanta and Arris.

Expert

Re: New XB6 verse old TC4400

@iotapi322 wrote:

I just wanted to post this for the next guy doing a search.  For over a year I had the technicolor TC-4400 cable modem for my gigabit service.  The TC modem ran fine and could saturate the maximum ethernet traffic at 940Mbit/s on download tests.  It stayed up and almost never rebooted.  A good $10  a month rental from Comcast.  

Recently I was sent information from Comcast that they were swapping out my TC modem for another modem because of a "technical issue".  I have no idea why.  Anyway I hooked up the new (weird looking, can't mount to a wall) XB6 modem.  This thing is dog slow.  I mean rediculously slow.  Also it doesn't label which is the main ethernet port to use ( the one on the right if you are looking at it from behind).  Registering with the CMTS takes for ever and obtaining a client DHCP address litterally takes 5 mintues on a reboot.  After setting it up normally I found instructions on how to turn it into just a normal bridge modem ( login : admin   pass: password ) and click the bridge mode button.

After I got it all setup directly hooked up to the modem I couldn't obtain much more than around 800mbit downstream.  Where previously the other modem with everything being the same was saturating the ethernet port at 940 Mbit.  

and purchased the Arris-SB8200 from amazon.  This modem has the broadcom chipset which has much lower latency than the puma chipset that the XB6 has in it.  

Who am I?
No one important, other than I use to make cablem modems for Scientific Atlanta and Arris.

I will keep this in mind if I ever decide to pay the extra bucks for gigabit; my Arris XB6 handles my 400 down data plan with no issues; dslreports usually tests at 

Extreme Pro Internet [ 400 ]: 400 Mbps / 10 Mbps           484 Mbps / 12.1 Mbps

Silver Problem Solver

As you may know, when Gigabit first came out, the XB6 devices were not quite ready. They used that modem together with a Netgear router as a stop gap. No idea if it really does have a technical problem, but I'd guess now that the XB6's are availble, they may want to stop supporting that device.

There are now two XB6's available, the Arris model (XB6 A) and a Technicolor (XB6 T). The latter is the better performer from what I've seen here.

At retail there is a choice of three straight modem retail devices and one modem/router gateway right now.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com

Good luck with your choice!

Problem Solver

@iotapi322 wrote:

Recently I was sent information from Comcast that they were swapping out my TC modem for another modem because of a "technical issue".  I have no idea why.

Comcast gave out a Netgear R7000  R8000 with that modem, and that router is vulnerable to the VPNFilter Malware. The XB6 isn't, hence the swap.

@iotapi322 wrote:

Also it doesn't label which is the main ethernet port to use ( the one on the right if you are looking at it from behind). 

It's actually the one on the left if you're looking at it from behind, although it doesn't really matter which one you use unless you have Xfinity Home. 

@iotapi322 wrote:

The SB8200 is an excellent modem, and I use it myself. However, note that there are two types of XB6, the ARRIS TG3482G, which is likely what you got, and the newer Technicolor CGM4140COM. The Technicolor modem has a Broadcom chipset.

Having used both of them, I found the TG3482G to be prone to lag and jitter, whereas the CGM4140COM was not. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Silver Problem Solver

@ darkangelic "Comcast gave out a Netgear R7000 with that modem, and that router is vulnerable to the VPNFilter Malware. The XB6 isn't, hence the swap'..

Not to quibble, but I thought it was R8000. I would have thought that it would be up to Netgear to fix that, but it may well be the reason.

Thanks for the "hands on" knowledge!  Smiley Happy

New Poster

After reading this, I guess I'll just stick to the  TC4400-CMT modem and Nighthawk X6 R8000 router provided at installation, and leave this new XB6-T in the closet? 

Also, I keep the R8000 firmware up to date. Is it right to guess that Netgear has patched the vulnerability? 

Thanks!

Brian 

Problem Solver

@BrianSnyder wrote:

After reading this, I guess I'll just stick to the  TC4400-CMT modem and Nighthawk X6 R8000 router provided at installation, and leave this new XB6-T in the closet? 

Also, I keep the R8000 firmware up to date. Is it right to guess that Netgear has patched the vulnerability? 

Thanks!

Brian 

No, you need to return the TC4400 and the R8000 since they were leased to you by Comcast and they're technically Comcast's property.  

If you don't want to use the XB6, you can always purchase your own modem and router. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman