Community Forum

New Router

New Poster

New Router

I bought my own modem and router (netgear) and the modem works fine, but when I try to connect to wifi when connecting my router, it does not work.  My modem is registered with comcast, do I need to register my router too?

New Poster

Re: New Router

No you do not, however you may need to cutomize wifi and if you already have doen that try powering down JUST the router and plugging it back in after about 20 to 30 seconds and give in 1 to 3 minutes to wake up. Sometimes the two can get out of sync especially if the modem reboots and the router has not as the router often will not know to ask for valid IP addresses again.

Problem Solver

You might also need to adjust your WiFi settings in your router.  Have you logged in to its admin page to look at settings?  Which model Netgear router do you have so we can look at a User Guide for info?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Expert

@Lazarraga wrote:

I bought my own modem and router (netgear) and the modem works fine, but when I try to connect to wifi when connecting my router, it does not work.  My modem is registered with comcast, do I need to register my router too?

Unplug the modem and the router and shut off the computer. Wait a minute. Plug in the modem and let it fully synch up (Online light lit steadily). Now plug in the router and let it fully come up. Lastly, turn on the computer. Any joy ?

Also, you must associate the computer with your home network's current WiFi broadcast name (SSID) and your WiFi network's current password / network security key.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Lazarraga, chiming in, I would also maybe suggest putting your modem in bridge mode when using the router. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Are you using a separate cable modem and a stand-alone router, or are you using one of those combo modem / router gateway devices ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.