Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

New Modem noise - XB6

Regular Contributor

New Modem noise - XB6

I received the new Xfinity modem in the mail yesterday and installed it.

Is anyone else noticing a low level buzzing/humming noise coming from the modem?  It is very annoying.  Can I swithch back to the old modem?

Valued Contributor

Re: New Modem noise

Not sure which model you were given but I have noticed certain XB3 modems will make some coil noise as more traffic goes over the wifi circuits.  They don't all do it so if it is a big enough problem for you I'm sure you could swap it out for another one without much of an issue.  

Regular Contributor

I drove the 20 mile round trip to Comcast Store and got a new modem.  Came home and hooked it up.  It is noiser than the first one they sent me.

Expert

@douglashh wrote:

I drove the 20 mile round trip to Comcast Store and got a new modem.  Came home and hooked it up.  It is noiser than the first one they sent me.

If two different gateways do the same thing, you probably need to schedule a tech visit to look into your wiring.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@douglashh wrote:

If two different gateways do the same thing, you probably need to schedule a tech visit to look into your wiring.

Nah, I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with a noisy modem. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Regular Contributor

With all due respect, there is nothing wrong with my wiring. Not a peep out of my old modem in over 4 years.

Official Employee

douglashh, we can either ship you another Xb6 or we can ship you an XB3. Whichever you prefer (unless you have a Gigabit plan, then we'll need to ship you another XB6). Please send me a private message with your full name, address, and phone number tied to your residential services for help.

Regular Contributor

I have an appointment for a tech to come to the house with a new modem next Friday. The store tech person said I needed the XB6 for my plan. The first defective modem was sent from Oregon, the second was picked up at my local Comcast store.

Official Employee

Gotcha. OK. I will follow up with you next Friday after the appointment completes. 

KenF

New Poster

Re: New Modem noise - XB6

I have the new xFi Advanced Gateway and it is really noisy! So disappointed.

Expert

Have them swap it for another ?
Frequent Visitor

Yes the new XB6 has a fan in it and its not a silent one. I don't get why not just make the modem bigger and forget the fan and or use a higher quality quieter fan.

Official Employee

bovie2k, let me know if you're interested in replacing it. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Is there a quieter version avalaible? I've tried 2 x XB6-T's and both are the same. Its not a broken fan its just louder than the silent XB3.

Problem Solver

I also have an XB6-T but mine is silent. Maybe something up with the certain batch of them??
Regular Contributor

According to 2 telephone tech support guys, the twitter Comcast techs and the store person, the new modems, CMG4140Com are supposed to be silent, just like the modem I turned in.

Official Employee

bovie2k, let me know if you'd like to swap yours out. 

KenF

New Poster

Hi all, 

I received a new xFi Advanced Gateway modem in the mail and installed it last Saturday. It was really noisy and I gave it three days to "settle down", hoping that the noise would go away. It never did, so I recorded the noise on my iPhone and then called xfinity support early this morning and I asked to support person if the noise was normal (I played the noise for her). She said it was definitely not normal and so I went to the xfinity store and traded the modem for an identical modem. I came home and installed it about 2 hours ago. And HOORAY, it is not noisy! I think being able to record the sound and let the service person hear it over the phone was really helpful!

New Poster

I just postecd this message 5 minutes ago. Sorry to be redundant, but my message is below and I'm happy to say that my problems are solved and I cancelled the service appt. HOORAY!!!!

Hi all, 

I received a new xFi Advanced Gateway modem in the mail and installed it last Saturday. It was really noisy and I gave it three days to "settle down", hoping that the noise would go away. It never did, so I recorded the noise on my iPhone and then called xfinity support early this morning and I asked to support person if the noise was normal (I played the noise for her). She said it was definitely not normal and so I went to the xfinity store and traded the modem for an identical modem. I came home and installed it about 2 hours ago. And HOORAY, it is not noisy! I think being able to record the sound and let the service person hear it over the phone was really helpful!

Official Employee

douglashh, has the tech visited concluded? 

KenF

Regular Contributor

Tech visit is Saturday morning before 10:00 AM.  Thank you for checking.

Official Employee

Tech visit is Saturday morning before 10:00 AM.  Thank you for checking.

douglashh, Oh OK. Chat tomorrow. 

KenF

Contributor

Does the modems rely on passive cooling or fans? Since most of the users reported noise coming from the new modem, sound like it may be the cooling fan.

However coil whine is what they are calling this issue with the modems.

This is just my two cents.

Expert

Me thinks that it would be a mechanical / air movement / motor bearing cooling fan noise rather than uncommon "coil whine" noise. YMMV.

Regular Contributor

The tech left about 20 minutes ago.  So far this new modem is quite.  The 2 previous noisy modems were Technicolor models.  This new one, looks that same, but is an Arris TG3482G.  

You can tell the difference by noting where they were manufactured.  The Technicolor were made in Vietnam while the Arris is made in China.

Official Employee

douglashh, glad to hear the replacement is quieter! 

New Poster

I have the same problem.  Intalled the new XB6 modem, and it makes a lot of noise.  It seems to run hot all the time, and the fan is running.  I chatted with an Xfinity rep who had no solutions, other than sending a tech out, and that would be service charge.  

Is there a better solution?

Contributor

I would say for now to deal with it. Or buy your own modem if you dont need telephone.

My X1 TV box has a stupid loud fan and I have gotten used to it.

Might want to set the modem in a room where you dont go into very often.

Expert

@stevedwight wrote:

I have the same problem.  Intalled the new XB6 modem, and it makes a lot of noise.  It seems to run hot all the time, and the fan is running.  I chatted with an Xfinity rep who had no solutions, other than sending a tech out, and that would be service charge.  

Is there a better solution?

If I had that issue, I would try to ask for a rebate for the install since the XB6 needs to be replaced.

New Poster

I, too, have the Technicolor (made in Vietnam) model that hums and runs hot. Super annoying. Is there a way to ask for a replacement and specify that it’s the Arris TG8432G (made in China) model?
New Poster

We just got the new updated version as well and I have it in my recording studio and it is so noisy I'm looking at moving it into another room or drilling a hole in the wall so it can be in a room where no one is at. I'm about ready to plug my old router back in and send the new one back. The fan runs constantly and is so noisy I can't work in the room without headphones on. 

Frequent Visitor

I have the XB6-T as well and its loud. It sounds like everyone who has the XB6-A there's is quiet?

Expert

It is advisable to replace any gateway that is too warm and/or too loud.

My Arris XB6 has never had a noise or heat issue.  You should be able to do a free swap at the nearest Xfinity Store, or place a call to 1800comcast and request a replacement.

New Poster

I was thinking about doing the same thing - recording it to show the loud hum/buzz. I am on my second one after they replaced the first one for the same reason and i think it is louder than the first. I'm going to go to the store and try to get one from a different batch.

Regular Contributor

The are 2 manufacturers of this modem.  The one made in Viet Nam is the noisy one, or at least that is my experience.  Got 2 that were very noisy. The last one from China is totally silent with no problems.

Problem Solver

I've had both models of the XB6 (ARRIS TG3482G and the Technicolor CGM4140COM) and they were both pretty quiet.  

The Technicolor was a bit warm to the touch, but that's to be expected. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman