Community Forum

New Modem SB8200

New Poster

New Modem SB8200

We have upgraded internet to 1G and we’re told that our old modem SB6190 needed to be replaced. We bought SB8200 Docsis 3.1. Xfinity took all new info on modem. We have yellow/green lights on all except send which is blue. We should have blue for receive. Speed test are also ranging from 300-500 mbps -Xfinity’s speed test is showing less then 300 mbps. Something isn’t right. We have the Orbi router. Comcast says to wait 24-48 hrs but what’s going to change?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: New Modem SB8200

@janerobby87 wrote:
We have upgraded internet to 1G and we’re told that our old modem SB6190 needed to be replaced. We bought SB8200 Docsis 3.1. Xfinity took all new info on modem. We have yellow/green lights on all except send which is blue. We should have blue for receive. Speed test are also ranging from 300-500 mbps -Xfinity’s speed test is showing less then 300 mbps. Something isn’t right. We have the Orbi router. Comcast says to wait 24-48 hrs but what’s going to change?

Does the modem appear in My Account?  You could try a "Restart Modem".

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/services/internet

Devices

ARRIS Group, Inc. TG3482G

Voice and Data Modem

ARRIS Group, Inc. TG3482GSerial #: 10561178CDD4

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Yes the new modem shows in our account. We’ve re-set both modem and router and xfinity supposedly did something on their end but no difference. Said to wait 24/48 hrs-then I assume they send someone out. Makes no sense
Expert

@janerobby87 wrote:
We have upgraded internet to 1G and we’re told that our old modem SB6190 needed to be replaced. We bought SB8200 Docsis 3.1. Xfinity took all new info on modem. We have yellow/green lights on all except send which is blue.

FWIW, you won't get blue for the "Send" light because Comcast does yet offer DOCSIS 3.1 service on the upstream.

For a test, what speed does a computer get that is hardwired directly to the 8200 modem (no router in the mix) ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

We tried running a speed test via Ethernet cable directly hooked to the new modem-we could not get it registered-said no valid Ethernet ip configuration- If we plugged in the Ethernet cable to our orbi router-it worked?
Expert

You have to power-cycle a straight cable modem each and every time that you change the device that is being connected to it in order for that device to be able to get internet access.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!