Community Forum

New Install of Internet Essentials Not Working

New Poster

New Install of Internet Essentials Not Working

OK, this one is a mess.

I signed up for Internet Essentials last week, and the tech came out this afternoon and hooked up the modem. He was able to configure it using his phone and I was able at some point to log into the modem admin and save all the pages using the browser Save Page As to my hard drive for a record.

The tech was able to reach the Internet wireless via his phone. But I cannot reach the Internet using an Ethernet cable connection.

I am running openSUSE Leap 15 Linux. It works fine with the DSLExtreme trueExtreme modem I have. But try as I might I cannot connect past the modem to the Internet.

Pings and browser access simply go nowhere. I have tried both with using the Network Manager applet supplied with the KDE Desktop and with the "wicked" service manager. Nothing works.

All the settings that I can display either via the Network Manager applet or the command line ip command utility indicates that everything is configured correctly - the ip addresses, the routing tables, the link display, the Ethernet configuration, everything.

The tech had to leave because he had a couple more work orders to do, but he said to call him on his phone if I continued to have issued around 5 PM and he would have his supervisor come over and do more hand-holding. Unfortunately when I called him around 5:15, his phone didn't answer.

I'm planning on doing some more research tonight on one error message I see in the system logs concerning DNS settings not being "writable", which might explain the problem as being unable to get anywhere on the Internet is likely a DNS issue. I may also ask over in the Reddit Comcast forums.

Beyond that, I'll have to call Comcast support tomorrow and have someone come out with a laptop with an Ethernet cable to plug into the modem and see if they can get out, which will eliminate the modem as the issue.

Has anyone used Linux with Xfinity Internet and gotten it to work? Anyone seen this issue of being able to do anything and everything with the modem itself, but being unable to get out to the Internet. Besides DNS, the only thing I can think of is some sort of internal routing table problem (but only with the Xfinity modem as the DSL modem works fine.)

Expert

Re: New Install of Internet Essentials Not Working

@richardhack wrote:

Has anyone used Linux with Xfinity Internet and gotten it to work? Anyone seen this issue of being able to do anything and everything with the modem itself, but being unable to get out to the Internet. Besides DNS, the only thing I can think of is some sort of internal routing table problem (but only with the Xfinity modem as the DSL modem works fine.)

It's been a while, but when my wife was using a work supplied Kubuntu laptop, we had no issues connecting to Xfinity Internet (this was both using the Comcast leased XB6 gateway and a personally owned Apple Airport Extreme, and an ASUS RT-AC88U router).

The only thing I can think of is that you might have your laptop set to use your old DSL modem's PPPoE protocol instead of Automatic for DHCP configuration. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: New Install of Internet Essentials Not Working

I got it working. I had to do a reset of the network services and a reset of the Network Manager service. I'm not sure which one worked or why it wasn't working to begin with, but it's working correctly now. Sorry I forgot to respond to this post with the result.

If anyone is having issues with Linux getting to work, try those two approaches from the command line. Don't forget to reboot after resetting anything to make sure everything works together correctly.