Community Forum

New Gateway modem/router speed.

Frequent Visitor

New Gateway modem/router speed.

Just installed new Xfinity gateway modem/router thats supposed to achieve speeds near 400mbps. After a difficult setup its all up and running but the download speed I'm getting is about 30mbps on the 5.0 channel; what happened to 400mpbs (or close to it)? Prior to the new hookup the Arris TM702G modem with my Netgear 6900 router, got speeds in excess of 110mbps. Ive turned off the Netgear router so new gateway is operating strictly on its own. Even tried using it with an Ethernet hookup from new gateway to Netgear router but still only getting 30 mbps. Am I better off using just a modem with my Netgear router? Any suggestions?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: New Gateway modem/router speed.

What are you getting for the upload speed ?

Try calling 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to completely remove the modem from your account and to "re-provision" it from scratch. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

Expert

Hi @billiusmaxx

Thank you for visiting the forums! Sorry to hear about your issues. Sounds like they don't have your new gateway on your account correctly. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

billiusmaxx, thanks for posting. Let's check out underlying issues to your speed concerns. Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number tied to your residential services for help. Just click my name and then click private message me.

Frequent Visitor

Contacted Comcast today. Tried a couple of resets, disconnected then reconnected the Cisco and Network but never got past 30mbps. Got elevated to a tech agent who pretty much did the same things without much difference. She then scheduled a home visit for Monday and suggested I ask if a stand-alone modem hooked up to my Netgear 6900 router would work better. So, everything is on hold. I will update.

Frequent Visitor

Upload speed averaged 12mbps.

Official Employee

Upload speed averaged 12mbps.

billiusmaxx, got your message. 

KenF