Community Forum

New DirecTV receiver causing Xfinity W\iFi to drop connections

New Poster

New DirecTV receiver causing Xfinity W\iFi to drop connections

I've had Xfinity for several years with very little issues.  I just recently upgraded my DirecTV receiver with the 4K version (DVR) and now getting constant drops and discconcts with my Xfinity wifi signals.

The DirecTV is broadcasting a SSID of DIRECTV_WVB_9809xxxx to connect to other DirecTV receivers (of which I have none).  I contatected DirecTV and asked them to send someone out (a day after it was installed) because I was getting dropped from my home wifi (Comcast).  The tech that came out said he's never seen anything like this and called it in to talk to an engineer, who confirmed, they've never heard of this happening.  They concluded it must be the Xfinity home modem that needs to be looked at.

I've tried changing the channel on and using both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals, hiding the SSID on the Xfinity modem and restarting the modem.  Nothing has worked except for completly powering off the DirecTV system.

There are a lot of wifi signals around my house (from neighbors) but didn't start having this issue until the new DirecTV receiver was plugged in and turned on.  

Am I missing something?  DirecTV said that they could replace my receiver (again) but should contact Comcast first.

Expert

Re: New DirecTV receiver causing Xfinity W\iFi to drop connections

If it's interfering across both 2.4 and 5GHz and multiple channels -- it would seem to be a defective DTV box. Is the Comcast gateway physically close to the DTV box?

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

That's why I contacted DirecTV first, to resolve this issue.  The Xfinity cable modem is not near the DirecTV receiver. It's in another room completely. They checked all the setting, and found nothing wrong. 

If I connect to the public Xfinity wifi, somewhere outside my house, I can stay connected.  Only when I connect to my home Xfinity modem via wifi, I get disconnects. And it's not all the time, but off and on throughout the day. Enough to be really annoying. 

Expert

I know you probably feel like you are getting bounced around here, but that sounds like a defective box to me, it shouldn't be putting out that much interference. Smiley Sad

New Poster

That's what I thought as well.  Just hoping someone else has seen this issue and could comment on possibilities of what it could be.  Doesn't make since though, that the Xfinity public wifi, across the street with a weeker signal would keep the connection when my cable modem, in the same room, would get disconnected when my DirecTV receiver was on.  

Im going to give DirecTV a call and have my unit replaced.  Can't hurt I suppose.  Trouble shooting step. 

New Poster

Turns out it was the modem fro Xfinity.  Had them replace it with one with more memory and all is good now. 

Expert

Huh. Thanks for the update!