Community Forum

New Customer, forced to rent a modem for gigabit internet? Can't use my ARRIS SB8200?

New Poster

New Customer, forced to rent a modem for gigabit internet? Can't use my ARRIS SB8200?

Hey guys,

So I am closing on my first home August 17th. As such I've been trying to get everything in order, so I called to create my account and schedule the installation about 3 weeks ago.

Here's the situation though. When I talked to the sales rep all seemed fine. I told her I would be planning on getting the gigabit connection and using my own modem based off of what I found through your website. The (ARRIS SB8200 | Model number: SB8200). She said it would be fine and quoted me my price. I told her I'd call back and confirm a week before closing. Just in case the closing date were to change.

So here we are, I just called up to confirm everything and setup my account. But now she is telling me that I cannot use my own modem for the Gigabit connection, even though it's listed as such on the site. I understand she is only a customer service rep, so I didn't want to argue with her and waste her time and mine, since it's not her fault.

But now I'm expected to rent out a modem from you guys when I have a perfectly fine, brand new ARRIS SB8200 just sitting here which I only purchased because I was told I could use it?

What's going on here? Do I just need to talk to a different rep who might understand a bit more?

I'm not even an hour into being a Comcast customer and I'm already annoyed.

Anyways, any information on this would be appreciated.

Expert

Re: New Customer, forced to rent a modem for gigabit internet? Can't use my ARRIS SB8200?

Congratulations on the new home!

You can swap out the XB6 gateway for the SB8200 after the initial install is completed and your service is working as expected, call in to activate the modem, then return the XB6 to Comcast.   I certainly did. I have the SB8200 and I think you'll love it too. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: New Customer, forced to rent a modem for gigabit internet? Can't use my ARRIS SB8200?

When your tech comes out to install, let them know that you have your own, it’s a matter of a phone call by them to straighten it out.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the response guys. I'll do just that. I was worried for a bit. Cheers!