Community Forum

New Arris 8200, Now Internet Drops Constantly

Frequent Visitor

New Arris 8200, Now Internet Drops Constantly

Just got a new Arris 8200.  Now I'm having problems with connectivity. My previous modem was an Arris 6141.  My router is a netgear R7000. Here are some screengrabs from the modem;

317Status.pngproductInformation_LI.jpg

Highlighted
Expert

Re: New Arris 8200, Now Internet Drops Constantly

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hrm. Okay well if that's the case will I be able to put a link in a post? 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1orvtV-nx4mjGGM8skwJW3uOO7BSys9VB

Expert

Most of the downstream channels are cut off and there are no upstream channels shown in your first link..

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Ugh, I assure you I'm not usually this terrible at this, my only excuse is I work nights. I should have fixed it now.

Expert

The upstream power is WAY out of spec !! That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Frequent Visitor

I can replace my main splitter outside. I did at some point in the past remove all the cable connections from it that went throughout the house when I was mapping those connections and never actually reconnected them as they aren't being used at all. (other than the one i'm using for my modem obviously) 

That being said there is a lot going on inside my telecom/cable box  in regards to coax that I'm not sure what is what. By that I mean I have one main splitter that only has one input and one output currently connected but there are some other splitters in there that I have no idea what they are doing.

Do you have any brand reccomendations that I can get retail or should I just pick something up from Amazon?

Edit: Any idea why this would rear its head with a new modem that wasn't as big an issue in the past with the 6141?

Expert

@Yrrdead wrote:

I can replace my main splitter outside.

That being said there is a lot going on inside my telecom/cable box  in regards to coax that I'm not sure what is what. By that I mean I have one main splitter that only has one input and one output currently connected but there are some other splitters in there that I have no idea what they are doing.

Do you have any brand reccomendations that I can get retail or should I just pick something up from Amazon?

I would try reducing the number of splits / loss in the line leading to the modem first before replacing any.

If you are going to replace any, here are some quality brand splitters that Comcast actually uses in different market areas;

Antronix CMC2002H 2-Way Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/Antronix-CMC2002H-2-Way-Splitter/dp/B001E4OH1E

Regal 2 WAY 1 GHZ Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/DIG702867-Regal-WAY-GHZ-SPLITTER/dp/B0018BQMUM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF...

Extreme Broadband BDS102H 2-Way Digital Coax Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-DIGITAL-PERFORMANCE-CABLE-SPLITTER/dp/B007YV0UQW

Holland 2-way horizontal splitter 5-1000 MHz with ground.http://www.3starinc.com/holland_2-way_horizontal_splitter_5-1000_mhz-w-ground.html

Sv-2g 2-way Splitter 5-1000mhz: http://www.amazon.com/Sv-2g-2-way-Splitter-5-1000mhz-Sv2g/dp/B003TH36CK

http://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-GHS-2Pro-M-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00P6VHLP0?tag=ds0233-20 <<<<

Edit: Any idea why this would rear its head with a new modem that wasn't as big an issue in the past with the 6141?

Some makes and models of modems are less tolerant of poor connection quality than are others.

Frequent Visitor

So last night pulled out all the coax , splitter is an SV brand splitter. Only connections are the input from Xfinity and output to cable modem. There is a Moca filter on the input but apparently that is fine. The ground bonds were broken on both splitters so I stripped and reground the splitters. Not sure that is a huge deal but figured it couldn't hurt.

None of the above seemed to fix anything but I really appreciate your help EG. I'm going to try to get a Tech out to take a look.

Expert

Good luck ! Please post back with how things turn out.

Frequent Visitor

So the tech came out and like most intemittent faults couldn't find anything definitive. He replaced the splitter with a new one, replaced the ground which had some heavy oxidation on one end which was a little strange but other than that no definitive abnormalties were find. And the signal looked fine on the service end and the customer side even before changing anything out.

That being said uptime is now 10hrs + so I'm going to tenatively say the splitter change out was indeed the solution. Will update if something changes.

Thanks again.

Expert

Maybe, maybe not about that splitter. I wish you the best of luck !