Community Forum

Network Error Popup Another computer has same IP address as this computer

Regular Contributor

Network Error Popup Another computer has same IP address as this computer

Last night received this popup on my desktop pc: "Network Error Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. Contact your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are available in the Windows System event log."
I contacted Comcast support and was told this is a Microsoft operating system and advised me to contact Microsoft. Wondering if this is the problem or is it with Comcast who assigns the IP addresses. Has someone hacked my account or the network?

Anyone have suggestions or advice?

Frank

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Network Error Popup Another computer has same IP address as this computer

If you are connected to a router / combo gateway device, it is that device's built in DHCP server that assigns IP addresses to the network clients. Do you have multiple computers / devices connected ?

Regular Contributor

Re: Network Error Popup Another computer has same IP address as this computer

Thanks for the response - yes I do have a Netgear router (N600 dual). When I run Who's on My Wifi scan I get the information shown on the attachment. I can account for 5 devices two Dell desktop pcs, an EMachine laptop, the Netgear router and an LG tablet. My daughter and granddaughter occasionally connect their iPhones to the wifi when visiting. I am running win 7 pro with Comcast triple bundle (TV,Internet and phone).

Also of concern is a voice notification on Who's on My Wifi that reports an unknown computer?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Frank

Who's on My Wifi.GIF