Community Forum

Netgear Router

Contributor

Netgear Router

I have a Tg862 and the wifi is down more than up. Turned it off and installed a Netgear Router. All now works but. My pc is hardwired to the modem and gets a 10.x.x.x ip and the devices connected to the router have a 192.168.x.x ip. Every thing works except my wireless printer now has a 192 ip and I have a 10 ip. Any ideas on how to see this printer? I could change my pc to wifi and get a 192 ip but was wondering if there is a work around.

Expert

Re: Netgear Router

You can't just turn off the WiFi on the 862. You need to put it in to full bridge mode so that it acts only as a plain cable modem;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Then connect all of your clients to only the stand-alone router.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

If the printer still doesn't connect, after bridging, may help to run the set up program if you still have it, (can usually download from the manufacturers website).

Contributor

Ok here is what I did to resole the problem

1) turn wifi off on modem/gateway

2) leave bridge setting to disable to have DHCP in 10.x.x.x. range and no public addresses

3) put a cable between your modem and router

4) Put your router in AP mode and set to get ip from router

5) all connections now have 10.x.x.x ip

Thanks

Mike

Expert

With this config, what do you need the Netgear router for ? Perhaps for better WiFi performance ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I own the modem, wifi has be unreliable, I had the router so I swiched. No need to replace the modem.

Expert

I figured that. Just make sure that DHCP gets turned off in the Netgear router when it is in AP mode.

Contributor

Don't understand why you say that. If you turn off DHCP on the modem  you get public addresses on the router ports. 68.x.x.x. With the modem DHCP on and the router set to get IP from the modem DHCP all ports are on the the 10 network as well as WIFI connections.

Expert

If 2 cascaded routing devices are both doing DHCP, it results in an undesireable double NAT condition on the home network. You can Google "double NAT" for its potential pitfalls.

Contributor

The router is in AP (access point) mode with the option selected to get DHCP from the cable modem. The AP is not doing DHCP

Expert

Yes. That's the correct config if the 862 is not in bridge mode. Bear in mind that you are using the term "modem" for the 862. The correct term is *gateway device* as it is a combo modem / router . As long as both devices are not doing DHCP, it's good to go.

Contributor

You'll have to forgive me, I am old school. I worked for Comcast for 21 years and was part of the employee BETA testing of the "Cable Modem" we never referred to it as a router, that was reserved for standalone equipment. I beleive the term "Gateway" was used by the cable industry when telephone was added. Could be wrong, it was a long time ago. We were Cable Guys back then not network savy.

My bad.

Expert

No worries ! Yep. 21 years ago there were plain vanilla cable modems and stand-alone routers. The most common term for the device that is used these days is gateway. The phone component is an eMTA (embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter).