Either brand new CM500 has fault or there was an activation fault
No obvious answers at http://support.netgear.com/product/CM500

Netgear:
Hardware Version C312T00-01
Firmware Version V1.01.11

Suggestions?

Expert

Re: Netgear CM500 modem unable to reach Internet after Activation

I'm going to escalate this to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to check if the modem is provisioned correctly. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much!

Official Employee

Hi, secdroid! Thanks for posting. Did you check your router? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Away from home and unable to check modem at this time.

Will check ASAP and post results -- when I have access to net... :-)

Expert

Are you even using a stand-alone router with your CM500 modem ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@secdroid - Please let me know, thank you!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Long story short: I asked Comcast to restore the Technicolor gateway to the account. I simply can't afford to be without Internet right now.  (Using my personal coax now to rule that out as a contributing factor.)

Played lots of telephone tag with Comcast. Finally reached an agent who ran diagnostics, verified provisioning and read back the MAC address of the Netgear for confirmation. As far as Comcast was concerned, all was well with the modem.  She seemed to be knowledgable and said I should call Netgear.

For testing, I was not using a router -- Ethernet direct to modem.  (I do have a stand-alone Asus router. ) This is what the Netgear docs said to do for activation and an initial speed test, prior to connecting a router.

The reason for switching to my own modem & router is that the router function of the Technicolor was unreliable with one of my devices and I really prefer to have devices that have documentation, which the Technicolor lacks.  (Turned off the Technicolor WiFi and used an external router to prove where the WiFi problem was.)

So I still can't definitively say where the failure was.  I will thoroughly read over the Netgear troubleshooting info and see if they have support.  This is a well-tested, mature product and activation should have been routine.

Thanks for the assist!

Official Employee

@secdroid - Our provisioning process (from the agents' side) is simple. We add equipment to the biller, the system automatically provisions it. If we can see your modem information and ping it - the modem is online. Otherwise, we won't be able to see any signal level information. If you would like, we can try again. I will provision the Netgear modem and make sure everything is fine from our side. Please note I'm in the office Sunday through Wednesday, 9 AM - 7:30 PM MT. 

In order to troubleshoot further, please send me a private message. I need your full name, the account holder's name as it's listed on the billing statement. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, @ComcastElla, I will take you up on your offer.  Before I send the private message, I'll do as much research as I can to see if I can identify issues with the modem.  Any info I find out will be included in the private message, as well as being posted on this forum.

Thanks again, @EG for getting an official Comcast response.

Whatever the final results are, I'll be sure to post here.

Frequent Visitor

Did a bunch of searches on the Netgear knowledge base and other sites.  No joy.  The only near suggestion was that the power level might have been low on the line.  That related to intermittent connections, not inability to connect.  I don't recall whether the Genie control panel specifically mentioned power, but the cable status was good and there were never any logged events.  The Technicolor gateway seems to work fine (other than routing issues with one device).

Spent over an hour on chat with Netgear.  Their only suggestion was to reset the modem.  Comcast reset it at least three times and I reset it at least three times.  Other than that, Netgear  had no other ideas.  No offer to repair or replace.

I give up.  I got a return authorization from Amazon.

If you have suggestions for an economical modem that works well with Comcast 60 Mbps, I'd appreciate them.

Expert

Quite welcome !

Frequent Visitor

Although I had participated in several customer service surveys with positive scores, I did give negative scores in one survey where the agent in question was not knowledgeable and did not transfer the call to another agent.

I've received TWO follow-up calls in response to that survey.  I did not want to dump on that problematic agent; these things happen in any customer-focused organization.

The second corporate follow-up seemed a bit surprised when I praised Comcast's handling of a difficult "he said-she said" sort of issue.  Was it a defective modem or a Comcast activation issue?  IMHO, Comcast was probably correct and the modem was defective.  I think Comcast customer service went "above and beyond" any reasonable expectations in handling a difficult problem.

Credit where credit is due: Comcast and Amazon were very helpful.  Netgear, less so.

Expert

@secdroid wrote:

If you have suggestions for an economical modem that works well with Comcast 60 Mbps, I'd appreciate them.

Ya' can't go wrong with one of these !! Probably the best DOCSIS 3.0 straight cable modem ever ! Good for up to 373 Mbps down on Comcast.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboard-SB6183-Package-Black/dp/B01ITIXYR0

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6183-417

Official Employee

@secdroid - Please, feel free to reach me directly for modem activation. I will make sure the provisioning process is correct.