Community Forum

Netgear C7100v does not reach 648mbps download

Frequent Visitor

Netgear C7100v does not reach 648mbps download

Comcast just renewed our package and upgraded me to the Gigabit internet which is available in our area.  My modem and router were pretty old so installed my own Netgear C7100v since I have a new panasonic phone system.  After Comcast finally got it activated and all services operating I checked the internet speed to find an average of 478 mbps for downloads.  The xfinity info says its rated for 648 mbps.  The netgear box advertises 960 mbps.  I also have the home security so there is a netgear WNR-1000 router supplied by Comcast. 

I have the cable connected to the C7100v so I assume the WNR router has no impact on the download speed.  What would be causing the download speed to be so low?

Expert

Re: Netgear C7100v does not reach 648mbps download

The C7100v is not approved for the gig tier. You need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Are you using their voice service? If you are, I would keep the C7100v for phone only and buy your own DOCSIS 3.1 modem or gateway or rent one from Comcast. If you are looking for a gateway, then I would recommend the Netgear C7800. If you are looking for just a modem (means you would have to buy your own router as well), then the four modems I would recommend are the Netgear CM1000, Netgear CM1100, Arris SB8200, and the Motorola MB8600. The modems and the gateway I have stated are the only ones approved for the Gigabit Internet Tier of service and they all work pretty great from personal experience and from what I have heard. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply.  I should have been more clear.  If I understand correctly a gigabite is 1000 mbps.  I understand the c7100v modem is not capable of reaching that.  We are old farts and do not need lighting speed at this time, even though we pay for it.  According to Comcast the c7100v is capable of 648, and I am only reaching 478.  Yes, we are using the voice service which is why I selected this modem.  I didnt want to mess with a separate router and modem so I chose the combo package.  The only other modem/router/voice is the Arris TG9442 which Arris will not sell to the public.  When that is available I will upgrade.  I will not rent from Comcast, that is not an option.

My concern is simply why the C7100v is not reaching 648.  I am curious if the security router might be causing a problem or its a provisioning error which is such a hassle to address with Comcast.  Or maybe I am just not understanding the tiers.

Expert

@nms77 wrote:

My concern is simply why the C7100v is not reaching 648.  I am curious if the security router might be causing a problem or its a provisioning error which is such a hassle to address with Comcast.  Or maybe I am just not understanding the tiers.

If a DOCSIS 3.1 capable modem is not being used then It depends on how many multiple bonded downstream channels are being supplied by the system / used. Post a screenshot of the modem's signal stat figures. Try getting them here;

http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

AFAIK, if a non 3.1 modem is being used, it may default to using the configuration file for a lower than gig speed tier.

If the security router is being connected to a LAN / ethernet port on your other Netgear router, then it can not affect the speed.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Capture 1.PNGCapture 2.PNGCapture 3.PNG

Expert

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

Frequent Visitor

Not sure what you mean, I can see the pictures just fine within the last post.  I can even see them when I log out of the forum.  Sorry, this is my first post so maybe there is something I dont understand.  Do you know how I would contact a Forum admin?

Expert

I'll try to escalate to an Admin for you.

Gold Problem Solver

@nms77 wrote: ... I can see the pictures just fine ...

For me, your post looks like this:

XfFmImUn1.png

All three images are called "comcastsupport.i.lithium.com/skins/images/F2AA671994F60E2C3FBF8E860C16C6F7/responsive_peak/images/image_unmoderated.gif". Unfortunately, Comcast has never explained why this happens.

Valued Contributor

@nms77 wrote:
Below I'm seeing 3 devices connected directly to the modem on ports 1/2/3.  I'm guessing you have the WNR connected to port 1 since it's showing 1Gig as the status of the connected device.

I see both WIFI signals on but, the only activity is on the 2.4Ghz side which would be an indicator your WIFI devices are preferring the 2.4 over 5Ghz band when connecting.    Looking at the specs the WNR is very limited when it comes to speed via wifi and may even be limited from the LAN side where you plug in directly.  A $20-$30 gigabit switch would be a better option if you need the physical ports.  The C7100V has LAN/WIFI that's more capable than the WNR by light years.

Now to the other part of the equation that may present some other issues.  Looking at the SNR and things look fine there but, the Power side being negative number might become an issue with drop outs and intermittent service.  If you have multiple splitters in the path from where the cable comes into your house you might want to bypass them and see if things improve that way as well.

Personally I would just take the WNR our of the mix completely and use the ports on the modem instead.  If you need more ports then pick up a cheap gigabit switch.

Capture 1.PNGCapture 2.PNGCapture 3.PNG

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response, I wont say I understand all of it.  What I do know is that I am not using a wireless router for internet.  My c7100v modem is connected directly to the comcast cable coming out of the wall, no splitters.  Port 1 is where the modem connects directly to my computer.  Port 2 is where the modem connects to the comcast security router.  Port 3 is just an arlo camera.  If I am connected directly to the modem I should be getting download speeds of at least 648mbps, but I am only getting 478.   So you are saying that the power levels are low, I picked up some info that says they should be -7 dBmV to +7 dBmV  are "Recommended" values.   I can only guess that this means I am getting a low signal from Comcast.  Which could be due to a bad cable or bad signal.

Expert

You’re not going to get that speed. As we’ve all been telling you, you are currently using a modem that is not approved for your speed tier. If you don’t get a modem that is approved, then the speed that you get will be the speed you get until you upgrade the modem.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, so you are saying that the Netgear c7100v is not capable of reaching 648 mbps.

Expert

No. I’m saying even though you have gig it won’t be provisioned for the highest speed possible. It will go towards a lower speed tier configuration until you upgrade the modem to a compatible one.

Expert

@mrumppe wrote:

Personally I would just take the WNR our of the mix completely and use the ports on the modem instead.  If you need more ports then pick up a cheap gigabit switch.

How can they take the WNR out completely if it is needed for the interfacing of their home security system  ?

Frequent Visitor

What exactly is the lower speed tier configuration that I should expect?  Its clear that the c7100v will not reach a gig, I got that.  If Comcast shows the c7100v as capable of reaching 648mbps and I am only hitting 478, then I assume I have a problem.  Netgear shows the modem as capable of reaching download speeds of 960 mbps. 

Expert

It likely went to the Extreme Pro 400 speed tier config, be lucky it didn't go to default which is normally 25.

Gold Problem Solver

@nms77 wrote: What exactly is the lower speed tier configuration that I should expect? ...

I've never seen Comcast answer that question. jweaver's guess seems reasonable, as, locally at least, 400 Mbps is the highest DOCSIS tier Comcast offers except for Gigabit. With the 20% overprovisioning they use, the top speed would be around 480 Mbps, which is what you are seeing.

It seems to me that your choices are either 1) if you want Gigabit service, add a modem approved for the Gigabit tier (I say "add" because Comcast has not approved any retail Gigabit devices for voice service), or 2) if the speeds you are getting are sufficient for your needs, drop back from Gigabit to the 400 Mbps tier so you're not paying for a service you're not getting.

... Netgear shows the modem as capable of reaching download speeds of 960 mbps. 

That's a laboratory speed that ignores several DOCSIS and TCP/IP realities. You'll never see it in the real world.

Frequent Visitor

Oh thank you Bruce, now I get it.  I am limited because of the tier level provided by Comcast.  It has nothing to do with speed the modem is capable of.  I assumed this was a modem issue, when its really just a Comcast issue.  Yes, I understand I could get around it but I already purchased the modem so I will stick with it and probably drop the higher package.  These things get more complicated every year and I just cant keep up.