Community Forum

Netgear C7000v2 - Recommended?

Frequent Visitor

Netgear C7000v2 - Recommended?

I’m weighing my options and comparing renting vs. purchasing a modem/WiFi gateway combo, since renting is $13/month. The Netgear C7000v2 gets good reviews on Amazon, and the price would be less than renting after the 1st 14 months. What’s the word on this, or is there a better option? I’ve been searching for hours - you know how that goes - and sometimes it feels like I’m going in circles…

Expert

Re: Netgear C7000v2 - Recommended?

@JohnnyCNote1 wrote:

I’m weighing my options and comparing renting vs. purchasing a modem/WiFi gateway combo, since renting is $13/month. The Netgear C7000v2 gets good reviews on Amazon, and the price would be less than renting after the 1st 14 months. What’s the word on this, or is there a better option? I’ve been searching for hours - you know how that goes - and sometimes it feels like I’m going in circles…

Avoid gateways (modem/router combos) if you can. They tend to be less robust , updates are subject to the whims of your ISP (really bad when you consider that routers are constantly vulnerable to more and more attacks), and if you'll have to replace the whole unit if you only want to replace the modem part, or the router part. 

That said, there isn't anything necessarily wrong with the C7000v2, and if you really want a gateway, it's a pretty good choice for all speed tiers except Gigabit. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

@JohnnyCNote1 wrote: ... The Netgear C7000v2 gets good reviews …

Note that your link says "C7000v2", which Comcast approves for retail purchase, but the link actually points to a C7000-1AZNAS, which is not on the Approved list at https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply! The description says it’s compatible with Xfinity. Here’s a pdf with a description: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81cpZ0bugmL.pdf
Frequent Visitor

I'm thinking that I might just rent the equipment just to get started, then pursue alternatives afterwards. Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

New Poster

Same thing, isn’t it? Curious what’s different between V1 and V2 aka 100NAS and 1AZNAS