Community Forum

Neighbors stealing my internet?

New Poster

Neighbors stealing my internet?

So back story about my situation. I live in a duplex and have been in the same unit for 5 years and have never had any issues with xfinity. Recently the unit attached to me had been rented out so I now have new neighbors.

I came home from work one day and noticed that there was a guy, not a technician, installing line from the Xfinity box thats outside my unit and running it to my neighbors. Now at first this looked extremely sketchy since everytime I have had Xfinity come out it was always a technician in uniform driving an Xfinity vehicle. This guy was in jeans and a cut off t-shirt and pulled his Mercury Moutaineer around back right by the xfinity box, I have a driveway that goes around back of our duplex that me and the neighbor share. I immediately thought this was not right but since the neighbors just moved in and I havent had xfinity out in a year or two I thought maybe it was a very unprofessional contractor. Well just yesterday I saw the same guy and same vehicle out back of my house and he was working on another project that had nothing to do with Xfinity for my neighbor. So now I am certain that my neighbor had this guy splice our cable outside that is connected to the Xfinity box and ran a it to my neigbors house. Also I have noticed a significant decrease in internet speed and I have Fiber! So who do I contact to come verify this for me? Where do I go from here? Thanks!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Neighbors stealing my internet?

Take a picture of the what you see. Possibly have a tech out to verify your services

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Ok did some reconnaissance and took two pictures. Sorry there are a ton of cables from previous occupants who had ATT/direct tv/Xfinity, so I uploaded pics to paint and did some artwork for ya! I pointed out my box and where I believe they might have hooked up there service to mine.

Question, does each subscriber have their own box? I thought that was the standard, correct me if I am wrong. Thanks. 

EDIT* Photos wont show when I upload them to forum. So here are links to Imgur. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/dWlmDMH

https://imgur.com/a/Vvv9RGd

New Poster

my line_LI.jpgMy Box

neighbors.jpgNeighbors Box

Diamond Problem Solver

No there normally isn’t a box for each customer but each building and area is different. Without opening up your box(it doesn’t look locked), who knows what’s going on inside. The rest of the building’s wires look like a mess and that’s what happens with multiple companies having access to multiple residents. I would still have a tech out to not only verify your services but verify the neighbors and determine if it’s interfering or not. It wouldn’t be the first time that a neighbors cable drop was split to feed multiple units, happens a lot.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!