Community Forum

Neighbor has her own server & everything in her house is WI-FI Slowing My WI-FI Connection

Contributor

Neighbor has her own server & everything in her house is WI-FI Slowing My WI-FI Connection

My neighbor who is connected to cable ahead of me on the daisy chain does really heavy internet use, her own servers (2) and everything is wireless in her house. There are five people living there and all are heavy wi-fi users. My question is, we share the same cable terminal outside, can comcast switch my service ahead of hers in the chain.

I notice every time they go away my internet connection is perfect. When they get home my wi-fi speed drops and ping goes up. Very hard to stream when they are home.

Expert

Re: Neighbor has her own server & everything in her house is WI-FI Slowing My WI-FI Connection

Does a hardwired, Ethernet connection show the same issue?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Neighbor has her own server & everything in her house is WI-FI Slowing My WI-FI Connection

@gary777 wrote:

My question is, we share the same cable terminal outside, can comcast switch my service ahead of hers in the chain.

It wouldn't make any difference. It's all shared bandwidth from the node / cable segment. First, second, last, doesnt matter.

I notice every time they go away my internet connection is perfect. When they get home my wi-fi speed drops and ping goes up. Very hard to stream when they are home.

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ? This may be a WiFi only interference problem from them and not a general slowdown with the Comcast cable system.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Thanks for repy guys. I have not been on my ethernet computer in so long I don't know. Going to see how it's performance is now.

Never thought they maybe be running somthing else near the same frequency, or a harmonic.

Contributor

Did some tests on my desktop & almost a 25% increase in speed from tests I did while neighbor was home. I was looking in my speed history.

Expert

What speed tier do you subscribe to and what was the speed you got hard wired? Just making sure you are getting the speed you pay for.

Since hardwired yielded better, it more than likely a wireless interference issue, where an only potential to get around it is to change Wi-Fi channels you’re on to different channel. Wireless basically has 0 guarantee for any speeds. It’s wireless where anything could happen that could make it not perform as well.

Contributor

Paying for 100 mbps getting 93mbps now. when neighbor is home get around 70-75 mbps

Problem Solver

Are you positive you're connecting to your own WiFi  and not your neighbors?  Just a thought.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Contributor

100% Positive. Maybe I should be though lol...

Contributor

Neighbors home & my DL speed is down 25% again. Congestion is very low according to my netgear congestion monitor, same as when she was gone.

You sure we are not daisy chained?