Community Forum

Need to extend Xfinity Wifi to out building ~100 yards from house

New Poster

Need to extend Xfinity Wifi to out building ~100 yards from house

I have out building on property which gets electrical power and phone (4 wire /2 pair - using only 1 pair) from the main house. Newer XB6-T Comcast router in the main house.  Researched Xif pods but cannot discern whether they use electric wiring to extend wifi or just amplify signal they get. Have NOT tried them yet. Other than running cat cable or coax to outbuilding - can I extend wifi there from house using something I have in place?  Thank you for assistance.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Need to extend Xfinity Wifi to out building ~100 yards from house

You’re better off running the cat cable. The pods are extenders not amplifiers and that’s too much distance

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

If the electric outlets out there are on the same branch / circuit as is the house, powerline ethernet adapters *may* be a solution for you to consider. YMMV. You can Google them for more info.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

100 yards (a football field) is too long for any of those options to work.  Cat is only good for 300ft.  Powerline networking won't work for that distance either. 

Expert

@jacobsed wrote:

100 yards (a football field) is too long for any of those options to work.  Cat is only good for 300ft.  Powerline networking won't work for that distance either. 

So do you have a solution for them ??

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Expert

The maximum length you can run Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6a cable is 100 meters or 328 feet. If you require a longer run, you will need to put an active component, such as a router, in-between the signals.

Expert

Can you run coax cable ? 

Gigabit Ethernet over Coaxial Unmanaged Network Extender Kit - 2.4km 

Frequent Visitor

I would look into long distance wireless bridge options.

New Poster

Thank you all.  I will close this thread out at this point.  My plan is to try Netgear Power line extender - even though distance makes questionable I will try.  The is seems a directional outside WIFI antenna/access point. Then perhaps try to run cable - again even with distance questionable. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Expert

Good luck with this. Closing this thread. Feel free to post again with any questions !