Community Forum

Need help connecting my wired printer to my Xfinity Arris TG1682G modem/router

New Poster

Need help connecting my wired printer to my Xfinity Arris TG1682G modem/router

When we switched to XFinity for our internet access, we changed our printer from being connected to our old Cisco router to being connected to our new XFinity router. When I go into the Comcast Gateway, I can see that it shows the printer as connected. However, when I try to add it using "Add a Printer" it won't show up and when I try to use the IP address or the Hostname to add it I get an error message saying the printer and laptop are on different networks.

If I manage to get it added as a printer, when I send a print job to it the print job errors out.

The only way we've been able to print is that, when we boot up, a generic driver runs and says "your device is now ready for use," the printer appears in the Devices and Printers screen, and it will print simple documents. The problem is this printer is a multi-function printer/fax/scanner and I can no longer access the faxing and scanning functions. HP repair tools can't see the printer at all, so they are no help.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Expert

Re: Need help connecting my wired printer to my Xfinity Arris TG1682G modem/router

Uninstall and then reinstall the printer following the directions.  If you need help you can find it on the HP website.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Re: Need help connecting my wired printer to my Xfinity Arris TG1682G modem/router

Did multiple uninstalls and reinstalls - made no difference.

I finally got help through the HP Support Forum - turned out that I needed to reset the Network Defaults on the printer to clear the prior IP address from the device memory, then do the reinstall so the printer got a new IP from the XFinity Router, then assign it a Static IP address that fell outside the DHCP Range (which meant first adjusting the DCHP range). Final step was to create a Standard TCP/IP port using the newly assigned Static IP address.

Now it works.