Community Forum

Need help! Connectivity— modem says there is a signal but I can’t connect

New Poster

Need help! Connectivity— modem says there is a signal but I can’t connect

My wireless suddenly stopped working. I went through all the usual steps. If I connected my pc to the modem via Ethernet cable I was able to access the internet. Sounds like a router problem, right? So I tried a different router. Same problem! I called Comcast support, the first 2 people I talked to said everything looked fine on their end. Then the 3rd time I called, the “bot” insisted on resetting my modem, and if that didn’t work to call them back. Didn’t work, I called back, Ms. Bot insisted she had to reset my router before I could talk to someone. Went in this loop numerous times. I tried the chat support, with my laptop plugged into my modem via Ethernet cable. I found a support person who did some testing on his end, and said that it sounded like an issue with assigning multiple IP addresses. We went into ipconfig/release on my laptop,  and suddenly I lost internet via the LAN as well. I had no way to reach Comcast, so went into a service store, and all they could do was schedule a tech visit. I am very worried that the tech person who comes out will not be familiar with the IP software configurations, and will just tell me that I need to rent a modem from Comcast (uh no thank you). Any ideas on how I can sort this out? Thank you thank you!!!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Need help! Connectivity— modem says there is a signal but I can’t connect

@Jbrown23 wrote: ... So I tried a different router. ...

Did you power cycle the modem when you changed routers? That's necessary whenever you change the device directly connected to a cable modem.

... We went into ipconfig/release on my laptop ...

Did you immediately follow that with "ipconfig /renew"?

What modem model # are you using? What router?

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please provide Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts.

New Poster

Thank you for your quick reply!!

i THINK what’s happening is that I’m not getting any IP addresses from Comcast.

When I connect my PC to the Ethernet cable, my modem looks like I have a data connection, but  my pc tells me the LAN doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. It would make sense then that when I plug the cable into the wireless router, the modem looks like it’s sending data, and my PC can see the wireless, but there are no IP addresses listed and the wireless icon shows that there is a connection but no internet.

I know that Comcast did some service “enhancements” recently. I confirmed that my modem,  surfboard sb6141, (it is mine, not comcast’s) is a DOCSIS 3 modem.

I have a Comcast tech scheduled for Saturday, but I don’t have any confidence that he will understand IP configurations.

Any thoughts would be really really appreciated!!

New Poster

Forgot to add — router is TP-link AC1900

Official Employee

Hi there, Jbrown23!

I am glad BruceW stepped in for assistance! We have an awesome group of people that help on the forums!

What I can do is make sure your modem is showing up correctly on our backend. 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 
To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi there again!

I wanted to touch base before closing out the post. Did you have any other questions? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!