Community Forum

Need a letter from comcast to return a modem

New Poster

Need a letter from comcast to return a modem

Hi,

My brother bought me a modem from buyyourownmodem.com

I was hooking it up Wednesday night. It would not activate, so I called Comcast.

They said you do not sell this modem, you only rent these, so you wouldn't activate

this model Arriss TG1682G

I need an email from comcast saying this is true in order to return my item.

I signed into my account and all compatible modems came up, I'm currently renting the same model.

I had a classroom of students in IT research the best model according to your list, and came up with

this site, and ordered it accordingly.

The company is saying that they hook up 1,000's of these a year. Has any one else had this problem.

How do I get a letter from Comcast?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Need a letter from comcast to return a modem

Any modem or gateway you purchase must be listed as a Retail device on the DOCSIS Device info page at http://mydeviceinfo.g.comcast.net/, and be listed on the "Compatible retail equipment" page at https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/. The TG1682G is not listed as a retail device on the "DOCSIS" page and isn't listed at on the "Compatible" page at all because they (Comcast) have not approved it for customer purchase at retail.

They're unlikely to provide you with a letter to this effect, but maybe you can use the contents of these web pages to make your point with the vendor.

Expert

@bg16 wrote:

Hi,

My brother bought me a modem from buyyourownmodem.com

I was hooking it up Wednesday night. It would not activate, so I called Comcast.

They said you do not sell this modem, you only rent these, so you wouldn't activate

this model Arriss TG1682G

I need an email from comcast saying this is true in order to return my item.

I signed into my account and all compatible modems came up, I'm currently renting the same model.

I had a classroom of students in IT research the best model according to your list, and came up with

this site, and ordered it accordingly.

The company is saying that they hook up 1,000's of these a year. Has any one else had this problem.

How do I get a letter from Comcast?

I thought you might be interested in reading this review from Ripoff Report.

You're not the first person that has been taken by this "company"; this is something we see here from time to time.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Expert

It's not just buyyouownmodem, but a lot of companies sell modems not approved for retail sale by Comcast or other ISPs - take a look at Amazon and you'll find dozens of them. 

Not to say they're all illegally acquired, (I bought a used TM722G from Amazon) but quite a few former customers sell their rental modems without returning them to Comcast, and so when some unlucky person buys them, they get shocked when they find out they can't activate their supposedly new modem. 

"My cousin Vinnie, he's got a new modem he wants to sell... nah, no receipt, it fell off the back of the truck."  Cat LOL

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.