Community Forum

Need WiFi and Ethernet in back bedrooms

Frequent Visitor

Need WiFi and Ethernet in back bedrooms

Hi,

Probably not the FIRST person to ask this ;-). Trying to figure out the best way to get reliable WiFi in the back bedrooms of my lath and plaster walled house, and extend into the garage below the rooms and back yard if possible.

We cuttently have a 3 or 4 year old Aris DOCSIS 3 gateway, and it won't reach the 60 feet to the back of our house  (but I can get WiFi 1/2 way down the block through the window!). I can't put the Gateway in the middle of the house due to wiring. I do have a coax cable in the back bedrooms and garage, and am trying to sort out a wire short in a CAT6 cable I connected under the floor to the Xfinity Gateway, so I do have some way into the Xfinity hardwiring. I don't have a great spot in the mid point of the house for a single regular range extender that wouldn't have to go through walls just like the Xfinity gateway in the front of the house.

The way it looks, my options are:

1. Some kind of mesh extenders like the xFi Pods, Google Mesh or others. Won't get Ethernet though.

2. An AC powerline adapter + router.

3. A Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Mesh WiFi Extender (which is 1/2 the price of the Netgear modem/router, IF I can get my CAT6 cable short fixed.

4. A stand alone cable modem/router like the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, or combo).

I like the idea of being able to keep one logon for the whole house and not have to switch networks when going from front to back, which as I understand is the beauty of the Mesh setups. But can the Netgear modem/router combo be set up that way, and without losing speed?

Expert

Re: Need WiFi and Ethernet in back bedrooms

MoCA adapters may be a solution for you. You can Google them for more info.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I was having issues with my internet staying connected in my bedroom with Comcast/Xfinity. I called them and they suggested that I could purchase the Xfi pods. I did and I was charged $149.00 for three that comes in the package. To be honest, I feel it was a waste of my money because I'm still having the same issue.
Expert

There are other options. Google for info about Powerline Ethernet Adapters, MoCA Adapters.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!