Hello! I have a situation I wonder if anyone else has ever seen.
I was talked into an upgrade to the "Gigabit" service, which I understand to have a 35Mbps upload speed. I used to have Blast, and my 10Mbps (advertised) upload speed was pretty consistent. I was quite content with it. The download speeds were close enough, so I never really minded they never hit the goal. Upload was more important to me.
So, the day after Gigabit gets on my account, I do a speed test. Download was less than half the advertised speed, and a little more than half than the maximum download Comcast lists for the device. That's not what I'm worried about... Upload is what I'm worried about. It's consistently showing 5.8Mbps as the upload speed. Smoothly consistent, like it's provisioned that way. I made several calls, and they're sending a TECH. I think this is a waste of time, there does NOT seem to be a signal issue AT ALL. Has anyone ever seen something like this? Any help would be most appreciated. THANKS!
Solved! Go to Solution.
P.S. to my own message... The 10 things to check talks about provisioning, and advises to go to and check to make sure you're on the right plan. When I go to the 2x places where it says, I get an error message that says "we are unable to retrieve your plan info". This gives me another reason to think I'm not provisioned properly.
What device/modem/gateway are you using? (you didn't mention).
Are you testing by ethernet direct to a computer?
Thank you for the reply!
Definitely ethernet-to-computer. 2x computers during troubleshooting with an agent. 2x Modems on my own. Modem #1 = the one I'm using now: Arris SVG2482AC. Modem #2 = the one I'm replacing, an Arris TM822R. The old TM822R was the one that reliably reached the 10Mbps upload speeds when I was on Blast.
I kinda hope it's something that simple, though if it is... I would REALLY have liked for any one of the Comcast agents to come to that conclusion themselves, especially the "Tier 2" agent who called me this morning.
Thank you very much for your feedback! I'm keeping the appointment I have scheduled for tomorrow, but I'd love if one of the employees who frequents this board chime in. If that's what it is, they could save a tech from coming out.
Well you do need a D3.1 device, a tech would leave you a rental XB6 and check out your sigs ect; So may not be a bad thing. Good Luck!
As you predicted, the new device (and the resulting provisioning file) fixed the issue. This seems like a pretty deliberate act by Xfinity to force rentals on people, but it's not enough of a financial difference (cost of new device(s) / length of life vs cost of rental * length of life) for me to make a big stink about it. It's working quite well now. Thanks for the assistance!
Pleased you got there!
FWIW. If you have phone service there is a D3.1 eMTA the Netgear CM1150V. (would need a router).
Or you could split the coax and use the 822R provisioned for phone only, if the signal is good enough and get a D3.1 device (modem or modem/router) provisioned for internet. More complicated, just something to consider down the road a bit.