Community Forum

My own modem with gbps internet speeds

New Poster

My own modem with gbps internet speeds

Hello,

I am trying to make sure that I can use my own modem with Comcast 1,000mbps internet. I called to upgrade my account and I have an appointment for a service tech to come out and "professionally install" (which is a joke/cash grab btw). But I need to know if I can use my own modem for this internet service. The agent that I spoke with first told me that I had to use their modem for that level internet. After I expressed my concerns stating that I have a capable modem that is approved by Comcast to meet their requirements for 1,000mbps internet according to https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/. She then changed her story and said that I need to have it professionally installed wether I use their modem or my own.

The professional install argument is another issue that I won't dive into much. Other than to say that I have a degree in IT and there is nothing that they have to do with wiring etc. I know this. Its a matter of installing the modem and activating the new speed. Its just a cash grab but whatever.

That being said, I never got a straight answer from the agent on wether or not I can use my own modem. I don't want this tech to show up and tell me that I have to use their modem, because it will be a waste of both of our times and I will be highly upset.
Expert

Re: My own modem with gbps internet speeds

FWIW, we see people here all the time using customer-owned modems for the gigabit speed tier.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi there, neagle392. 

Yes, you can use your own modem for gigabit speeds, and depending on the area you live, which is most now, you can do a self install yourself. Especially with you using your own modem.

If you have any other questions please let me know. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us!

Thanks for being a Comcast customer! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.