Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

My neighbors network is sort of leaking into mine? Not sure whats going on, but please help!

New Poster

My neighbors network is sort of leaking into mine? Not sure whats going on, but please help!

LONG STORY WARNING

Yesterday, I noticed that my download speeds (ethernet connection) have been a lot slower than usual and theres even been a few disconnects. I assumed something was eating all the bandwidth so I viewed my "Network" via Windows 10 to see what devices are connected. When I checked, I noticed that I can see my neighbor's PC, Fire Stick, and printer listed! I assumed they were connected to my network somehow so I accessed my router (ARRIS TG1682G) settings with "10.0.0.1".

I changed the SSIDs of both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Channels and I also made sure Wi-Fi Public Hotspot was disabled.

After all that, my neighbors devices were still appearing!

I checked my connected devices on the router (after kicking all connections) and only my ethernet connected PC was listed.

I noticed that my neighbor actually had their own wifi connection. I found out because the SSID was the same name as their PC. I tried a test and turned my router off and when I checked with my phone, their wifi was still there. Confused, I started looking through the router settings again and then the page refreshed and had me login again. When it refreshed the login was different, it was my neighbors!

I was able to see the same devices I saw earlier, but listed on my neighbors "Connected Devices" list at the gateway login. I got curious and attempted to login using the default user name and password. It turned out my neighbor never changed their default router login info. Upon logging in, I was able to immediately see my neighbors password to their wi-fi on the gateway page! I checked the connected devices and my PC was listed on their "offline devices" list? After checking some things out, the page had to refresh again and I was brought back to my gateway login.

I did some more testing and I am able to replicate the situation with being able to access their router login page if the page is refreshed a few times. What is going on here?

I think my neighbor just recently got xfinity internet installed, is it possible the tech messed something up during installation? They live directly below me, are our lines crossed up or something?

TLDR: My internets slow, I can access my neighbors router settings

Thank you to whoever took the time to read.

New Poster

Re: My neighbors network is sort of leaking into mine? Not sure whats going on, but please help!

I have exactly the same problem. My internet has been very slow and acting strangely.  I would type "google.com" and it would say, "page not found", I hit enter again, google comes up fine. I wanted to check my router and when I login I see my neighbor's wifi ssid and password.  Using a wired connection I login to my router based on the mac (router page and bottom of router show same mac address) and change the IP address scheme.  My laptop, still connected wirelessly, shows a different mac on the router page, obviously my neighbors.  In addition, I reset my router and on the router page it shows "up time" as a few minutes but on the laptop the same page shows a few weeks.  I want to disable wireless completely but need it for the wireless comcast receiver in the other room.  I don't like the idea of the neighbor snooping into my network and I'm sure they wouldn't be thrilled I can access theirs.

Regular Visitor

Re: My neighbors network is sort of leaking into mine? Not sure whats going on, but please help!

This happened to me around the same time-frame - November 2017 - I ended up doing everything you did, but it didn't fix the problem... I then did a "Factory Reset" on the router/modem - renamed the 2.4/5ghz WiFi SSID Names, changed all the WiFi Passwords, and then Disabled the SSID broadcast signal, and Disabled WiFi 2.4/5ghz entirely Until December 21st -- Thanksgiving was a drag, no WiFi - but the Ethernet cable Physical LAN was working great,-- I have just re-enabled WiFi as of 12-21-2017, making sure the SSID's were not being broadcast -- I'll be watching it like a hawk until well after New Years Day. -- So far, it seems fine... X-Finity Stream However.... Still an Issue.

Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Authorized Vendor

Is this still happening?  What device do you have?

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Expert
Moved: