Community Forum

My account was hacked; someone illegally downloaded material. How to prove it wasn't me?

New Poster

My account was hacked; someone illegally downloaded material. How to prove it wasn't me?

I spoke to a Comcast rep who told me this piracy was done from a wifi hotspot .. apparently with my (presumably hacked) username and login info. This was actually continuing in real time as I was on the phone with the rep! TEN infringement notices, one after the next after the next. I was almost in tears, as I would never do anything to put my internet access at risk.  I want somehow for this to be expunged from my customer record, as I am totally innocent of this, and was victimized by some hacker. First off, the IP address that did it is not my computer or phone. Second, I looked up this program/show that was downloaded using my account after I got the alert (I had never heard of it before) .. and it turns out it's available on Hulu which I pay for. So clearly -- why would I illegally download something I apparently already pay for? (I wouldn't illegally download in any case, but my point is why would I pay for streaming services if I was someone who would just download stuff?). I work from home and having internet access is literally my LIFE. I would never, ever do anything to jeopardize that. 
I have changed my username, password, secret question, and enabled two step verification to prevent such things in the future. But I really want to know how to prove that it wasn't me and have it taken off my customer record -- the IP address isn't mine, surely that should help?  Are there any steps I can take so that I am no longer under a  repeat infringement notice, considering I never did this? 

Expert

Re: My account was hacked; someone illegally downloaded material. How to prove it wasn't me?

What was the final resolution with the representative you spoke with? 

People get their identities stolen all the time, as long as you've shorn up your security (as you apparently have, good work) then you'll be OK. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: My account was hacked; someone illegally downloaded material. How to prove it wasn't me?

@TrixM wrote:
First off, the IP address that did it is not my computer or phone.

the IP address isn't mine, 

Were you looking at your WAN / public IP address or the individual LAN / private IP addresses for your computer and your phone ? The LAN IP addresses would be different from each other (the final segment ex. 192.168.1. XXX <<<< the X part would be different) whereas your WAN public IP address would appear as being the same for both devices from the internet side. And anything behind your router for that matter.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

If you receive a DMCA notification of alleged infringement and you believe in good faith that the allegedly infringing works have been removed or blocked by mistake or misidentification, then you may send a counter notification to Comcast. Upon Comcast's receipt of a counter notification that satisfies the requirements of the DMCA, Comcast will provide a copy of the counter notification to the person who sent the original notification of claimed infringement and will follow the DMCA's procedures with respect to a received counter notification. All counter notifications must satisfy the requirements of Section 512(g)(3) of the U.S. Copyright Act.

DMCA Notifications
Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
141 Woodcrest Road
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003 U.S.A.
Phone: 877.842.2112
Fax: 856.324.2940
Email: dmca@comcast.net

These folks may also be able to advise you:

Customer Security Assurance 

• Business Hours: 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week

New Poster

Good point, not sure, would have to check. The rep said it was happening from a hot spot somewhere, and since I was home with my phone & computer .. it could not have been me!

New Poster

Thank you! I am going to send the counter notification

New Poster

They left it at: Don't let it happen again. Which . .isn't totally satisfactory to me, so I'm going to send the counter notification as another poster suggested. Thanks!