Community Forum

My Cisco (Xfinity supplied) DPC3941T only allows 30 device connections to Wi-Fi SSID (2.4Ghz),...

Highlighted
New Poster

My Cisco (Xfinity supplied) DPC3941T only allows 30 device connections to Wi-Fi SSID (2.4Ghz),...

My Cisco (Xfinity supplied) DPC3941T only allows 30 device connections to Wi-Fi SSID (2.4Ghz), I need at least  60+ 2.4Ghz-only-smart-home devices to connect. They have low bandwith  demand but only work at 2.4Ghz. The 5Ghz network generally accepts more divices (I only have 8  on it) but even that wifi network was refusing to accept my wife's Iphone for a time.

In exploring around the Admin tool  http://10.0.0.1 I cannot see anywhere where this limit is set/defined (DHCP or otherwise). It seems like I should have the standard 254 device capacity.

Here are some screen snippets from router admin utility:

30device problem clips of router admin.pngrouter screen snippets

This is not a bandwith issue. 1) All devces that are connected are quite responsive with excellent signal strength. 2) We are NOT big streamers/gamers. We simple want whatever number a smarthoem devices necessary to fully automate our house

My extensive interaction with Xfinity Internet suport staff can only be described charitibly as a waste of time. They do not even seem to comprehend the issue. Additionally they failed to call me  at a agreed-to scheduled time that was convenient for them, so an experienced staff person could address the issue. This after I  had a chat representitive (Colleen {refused to provide last name}) copy&paste extensive problem definition information into a ticket (CR824908838) after the supervisor  (David {refused to provide last name}) who I sceduled the call-back with refused to do so.  

I am looking for any solution, new router, new Internet Service provider, anything!

One paticular avenue that seems like it could be explored is executing the option in the Xfi interface presented on the bottom of the Overview page (See below). But given the quality of Xfi support so far I am not trusting it won't make matters worse. Any thoughts?

Just For You

Simplify Your WiFi

Update your settings to let xFi sort out the best connection for your device.

Expert

Re: My Cisco (Xfinity supplied) DPC3941T only allows 30 device connections to Wi-Fi SSID (2.4Ghz),..

I don't know of any wireless access point that can reasonably accomodate more than 30, due to the increased stress it would put on the router, not to mention the horrendous wireless congestion it would create.   See: https://www.lifewire.com/how-many-devices-can-share-a-wifi-network-818298

You can try installing a separate access point with a different SSID to accomodate the extra devices. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!