Community Forum

Multiple daily disconnections ; Modem lights remain on, App says Not Connected

New Poster

Multiple daily disconnections ; Modem lights remain on, App says Not Connected

I will preface this by saying we already have a tech scheduled to visit our home on Monday, but I wanted to come here and get a general consensus on what our problem could be beforehand.

What's happening:  1-4 times a day we will lose complete connectivity to our modem.  All of the lights remain on, but the modem itself is being classified as "Not Connected".  This problem will resolve itself within 20-30 minutes, or, upon unplugging the modem.

I already exchanged the modem.  I have tested all connections.  I took a glance at the down/up, and my Downstream Power Levels range from -13.50dBmV to -16.80dBmV.

The Upstream Power Levels range from 52.25dBmV to 54.00dBmV.

At a glance, I'm unable to view my event log for errors of any kind, the only thing in the event log is the following: [Dhcpc][5607]: erouter0 got new IP

If anything else is needed, I can provide it.  Hoping to get some insight.

Edit:  The image uploader doesn't seem to be working.  Here are some imgur links to the same pictures:

https://i.imgur.com/rzxi5qm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VfXCnqk.png

DownUp.jpgnewip.png

Expert

Re: Multiple daily disconnections ; Modem lights remain on, App says Not Connected

The up and the downstream power levels are out of spec !

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Multiple daily disconnections ; Modem lights remain on, App says Not Connected

The only splitter being used in the area is essential, but I am 99% sure it was one provided by Comcast. 

Though I can't confirm that, I just can't imagine where I would have bought a Two way CommScope SV-2G Splitter, which is a 5-1002.  It's the same one pictured in this url: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/i-gAAOSwAItdbLTh/s-l1600.jpg

The technician isn't schedueld to be here until Monday.  I don't know if I will be able to buy a splitter before they get here to fully test that end of troubleshooting before they get here.

Expert

That's a good quality splitter ! There may not be anything wrong with it. It may be just too much attenuation in the line somewhere, bad coax, bad connector, squirrel chew on the drop line, etc. Maybe it would be best to see what the tech finds before you spend any money. 

Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home. Good luck ! Please post back here with how things turn out.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!